Issues with minimal install [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Duskmourn
Baby Hen

Issues with minimal install [Solved]

Post by Duskmourn » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:34

So after installing from the minimal daily iso, I'm unable to boot into the installation without booting into recovery mode with grub, and this happens on both real hardware and in virtualbox. It also seems that the minimal iso includes a slimmed down kernel, because when I tried to install it on real hardware, my AMD graphics card wasn't detected even after installing the x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu package, and I believe when I attempted to modprobe the driver, it wasn't detected. So, does anyone know why the minimal install has issues booting, and how do I install the normal Sabayon kernel if the minimal iso does indeed include a pruned kernel?

Here's the journalctl log of attempting to boot into the minimal install without recovery mode in virtualbox: http://dpaste.com/1YWZMAN

Thanks!
Last edited by Duskmourn on Sat Jun 27, 2020 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Issues with minimal install

Post by Stupot » Thu Jun 25, 2020 15:48

The minimal install doesn't provide a slimmed down kernel, rather it doesn't bundle all the available separate kernel modules up front. That said, I couldn't see anything in the install you provided that told me what was going wrong.

Duskmourn
Baby Hen

Post by Duskmourn » Thu Jun 25, 2020 22:04

Sorry, that was probably the wrong log, this one should give you some indication however: http://dpaste.com/0TS75W2
It just sort of hangs on a black screen after the Sabayon splash screen.

How do I load the unbundled kernel modules then?

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Fri Jun 26, 2020 15:31

Honestly, I would suggest installing a non-minimal version of Sabayon to get to a fully working system faster. The downside of the daily images is that they haven't gone through any QA. So it's quite possible that the minimal install is missing something that Fluxbox needs (although in this case it does indeed sound like something gpu related).

Unfortunately, there is no official release for the minimum version that will work right now. Sabayon 19.03 releases (which are the latest official releases) are basically so old that they can't be updated properly due to some breaking changes introduced within the past year.

Duskmourn
Baby Hen

Post by Duskmourn » Sat Jun 27, 2020 23:08

Stupot wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 15:31
Honestly, I would suggest installing a non-minimal version of Sabayon to get to a fully working system faster. The downside of the daily images is that they haven't gone through any QA. So it's quite possible that the minimal install is missing something that Fluxbox needs (although in this case it does indeed sound like something gpu related).

Unfortunately, there is no official release for the minimum version that will work right now. Sabayon 19.03 releases (which are the latest official releases) are basically so old that they can't be updated properly due to some breaking changes introduced within the past year.
Fair enough, I ended up just installing from the GNOME daily any ways, guess I'll mark this thread as solved then.