KAlarm, Akonadi, and MariaDB Errors

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

twhite
Baby Hen

KAlarm, Akonadi, and MariaDB Errors

Post by twhite » Wed Sep 11, 2019 20:32

Recently KAlarm stopped working, I was unable to create or update alarms, I have errors like "Failed to insert new part into database." and "Cannot connect to the Akonadi service." After stopping then starting Akonadi from the command line I noticed many database code "1452" errors and others. I read that this also effects other applications as well.

This is a known problem that looks like it has been fixed but doesn't appear to have come to Sabayon yet as I just upgraded and it still fails. As described in https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/63025 the workaround is to downgrade MariaDB to 10.3.16-1, I'm currently on 10.4.7-r1 with the update I got today.

Is is possible to downgrade this in Sabayon and how do I do it? Is this a known issue with Sabayon as I couldn't find anything here?

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: KAlarm, Akonadi, and MariaDB Errors

Post by Stupot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 16:51

That arch bug makes it sound like it was an arch migration issue.

It's possible Sabayon has the same sort of migration issue, so maybe try out what the guy in the last comment said.

Yes, it seems this does the trick. I guess I'm going to run the following on my machines then:

Code: Select all

find /tmp -ipath "/tmp/akonadi-$USER.*/mysql.socket" -exec mysql --socket={} -e 'create database mysql' \; -exec mysql_upgrade --socket={} \;
akonadictl restart
There is no need to restart KMail.

So I guess this ticket can be closed. After all it was just a missing migration like I have already suspected. However, it would be nice if it was mentioned similar to the "regular" database migration (https://www.archlinux.org/news/mariadb- ... tervention) because only executing `systemctl restart mariadb.service && mariadb-upgrade -u root -p` does not affect the MariaDB instance used by Akonadi.

twhite
Baby Hen

Re: KAlarm, Akonadi, and MariaDB Errors

Post by twhite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 21:07

I found where the socket is found on Sabayon and tried to run the command modified from the link.

mariadb --socket=/run/user/1001/akonadi/mysql.socket -e 'create database mysql'
I believe it is using MariaDB and not MySQL but there's no update_mariadb like for mysql.

Now when I start akonadi I get these errors and fails to start:

Code: Select all

$ org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Starting up the Akonadi Server...
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: mysqld for Akonadi is already running, trying to connect to it.
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to connect to database!
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Database error: "Access denied for user 'tim'@'localhost' (using password: NO) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to remove runtime connection config file
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Shutting down AkonadiServer...
org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol: Application '/usr/bin/akonadiserver' exited normally...
It was starting before but not now so I must have done something to change that. I've reinstalled both MariaDB and Akonadi but it acts the same. I also tried logging on to both databases outside Akonadi but get the same error. I'm not very familiar with mysql/mariadb so I'm considering trying with postgresql.

Is anyone else having problems with KAlarm or Kmail?