Got a few questions [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Got a few questions [Solved]

Postby Popov98 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 16:35

Hey guys I need some more information about Sabayon for a schoolproject. the things i can't find on the web are the following:

Does Sabayon make use of a front-end, back-end package-manager? and what is the front-end, what is the back-end manager?

Does Sabayon make use of an X-server or X-windows? Or is it another one?

what's Sabayons default desktop environment?

what's the display manager?

what's the window manager?

what graphics configuration system is been used?

Sorry for my bad language. I'm not English as you probably noticed :D

Thanks in advance!!
Popov98
Baby Hen

Re: Got a few questions

Postby Stupot » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:30

So, these answers are definitely out there. I think perhaps the issue is that you aren't quite familiar enough with what those things mean to find the answers you're looking for.

Every package management system has a front end (to be used by the user) and a back end (the server/repository). For Sabayon, you should look here: https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy

Sabayon doesn't have a default desktop environment, rather it has a number of DE's officially supported and multiple installation disks so that a user can start with the DE of their choice. Given that, your DM and WM can also vary.\

I'm not really sure what you mean by graphics configuration system used.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:32

Popov98 wrote:Does Sabayon make use of a front-end, back-end package-manager? and what is the front-end, what is the back-end manager?

Yes. The package manager is called 'Entropy', its GUI front-end is called 'Rigo' and its command-line back-end is called 'Equo'.

Popov98 wrote:Does Sabayon make use of an X-server or X-windows? Or is it another one?

Yes. It uses X Windows and the X Windows server.

Popov98 wrote:what's Sabayons default desktop environment?

There is no default desktop environment: Sabayon Linux installation ISOs can be downloaded with the following desktop environments: KDE Plasma; GNOME Shell; LXQt; MATE; Xfce.

Popov98 wrote:what's the display manager?

The DM can vary depending on the release of each edition, but the current DMs for the 18.01 Editions are: For Sabayon KDE Edition it is SDDM. For Sabayon GNOME Edition it is GDM. For Sabayon LXQt Edition it is SDDM. For Sabayon MATE Edition it is LightDM. For Sabayon Xfce Edition it is LightDM.

Popov98 wrote:what's the window manager?

This depends on the desktop environment. For Sabayon KDE Edition, it is KWin. For Sabayon GNOME Edition it is Mutter. For Sabayon LXQt Edition it is Openbox. For Sabayon MATE Edition it is Marco. For Sabayon Xfce Edition it is Xfwm.

Popov98 wrote:what graphics configuration system is been used?

What do you mean by 'graphics configuration system'?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby albfneto » Sun Jan 07, 2018 18:50

Sabayon is a large and complete Gentoo based Distro.

Does Sabayon make use of a front-end, back-end package-manager? and what is the front-end, what is the back-end manager?

The package manager is called Entropy, and their GUI is RIGO.

Does Sabayon make use of an X-server or X-windows? Or is it another one?

It uses Xorg Server and X-Windows also...

what's Sabayons default desktop environment?

Not really "one default". Sabayon exists as installable ISOs, in KDE, GNOME, XFCE, MATE etc... Also it accepts more than one DM.

what's the display manager? what's the window manager?

In Sabayon KDE, is SDDM, but other DEs uses lightdm, gdm etc... personaly, i use lxdm in the LXDE env.

window manager depends of the choosed DE. example, it uses Marco as window manager in the MATE version, xfwm in the XFCE version, Kwin in the KDE version etc....

what graphics configuration system is been used?

For configure graphics, this is auto, bu for an example, you can use NVIDIA settings, if you have an NVIDIA board.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby Popov98 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:51

Thanks for the quick response! your answers were really helpfull and indeed i'm not really well known with all of this! :) thank you very much! :)
Popov98
Baby Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion