Cannot change to SDDM login screen [reopened]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Cannot change to SDDM login screen [reopened]

Post by linuxfluesterer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:03

Hallo guys.
Though I gave some hints to change from lightdm to sddm here:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=33686&p=179649&hilit=sddm#p179641
I am not able to change my system from lightdm to sddm.

When I change to sddm, I cannot boot into a login screen at all on this, my most used midi box computer. There is a black screen only, where it is impossible to type in any character, not just even <Ctrl - Alt - F1> Then the only way to repair, is to reboot into a 'save' text boot, where I have to change back from sddm to lightdm.
I have an Intel Core i7-7700T processor with a built in Intel 630 gpu.
https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au ... 7700t.html

My (KDE-) Sabayon is rather actual with Kernel 4.11.10 (4.11.12 denies to recognize my wireless lan) and KDE Plasma is on version 5.9.5, upgraded yesterday.

So, my question is, where can I find the reason, why sddm doesn't work as login screen? What can I do to make it work? My best friend has the same constellation (same box, same processor, Sabayon) and he (I'm not sure about) says that he could boot with sddm. Strange, but I could not check this yet.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE...)
Last edited by linuxfluesterer on Tue Oct 17, 2017 21:24, edited 2 times in total.
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Re: Cannot change to SDDM login screen

Post by sabayonino » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:15

sddm must be a video member group

Code: Select all

# gpasswd -a sddm video
[Che Cos'è Il Calcolo Distribuito (BOINC)

BOINC ready ! Sabayon+BOINC = BILD ,my Sabayon spin :cyclops: - Ready to crunch for the Science everywhere :)

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 13:43

Also, sometimes I have to enter, as root user, the following:

systemctl set-default graphical.target

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 14:16

Thank you for quick reply, Sabayonino.
I just checked the sddm group members with:

tuxedo-btrfs / # groups sddm
and I got:

video sddm
Anyway, I did, what you suggested to do and executed:

# gpasswd -a sddm video
Then I changed from lightdm to sddm,
1. logged out
2. logged into terminal as root
3. stopped lightdm
4. disabled lighdm
5. enabled sddm
6. rebooted
No change in result. After boot there is only the main terminal (text) screen. When I change to teminal 7 with <Ctrl - Alt - F7> there is still a blank (black) screen with a blinking cursor on first position above. And again, I could only repair this misbehave with a reboot into recovery boot, where I could change back from sddm to lightdm.

@ Fitz: I also entered this:

systemctl set-default graphical.target
This didn't lead to succes also. So, when (what time or situation) is it useful to enter such this line? After changing from lightdm to sddm and before reboot?

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 16:15

I'm not sure why you're having trouble, as I've just switched from LightDM to SDDM without any trouble. I did it as follows:

1. From within Yakuake, I entered the following commands as root user:

systemctl disable lightdm
systemctl stop lightdm
2. At this point the screen displayed a VT login prompt. I logged in as root user and entered the following commands:

systemctl enable sddm
systemctl start sddm
-------------------------

If you want to be able to switch to a VT from the KDE Plasma session running in VT1, you need to do the following:

1. Enter the following command as root user:

systemctl enable [email protected]{2,3,4,5,6}.service
systemctl start [email protected]{2,3,4,5,6}.service
2. Edit the file /etc/systemd/logind.conf and uncomment the two lines:

#NAutoVTs=6
#ReserveVT=6
(Remember that the X Windows session is running in VT1, not VT7.)

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 20:10

Fitzcarraldo wrote:I'm not sure why you're having trouble, as I've just switched from LightDM to SDDM without any trouble. I did it as follows:

1. From within Yakuake, I entered the following commands as root user:

systemctl disable lightdm
systemctl stop lightdm
2. At this point the screen displayed a VT login prompt. I logged in as root user and entered the following commands:
When I opened Yakuake and then entered both commands (disable and stop lightdm), I did receive a blank, a black screen, where I can no more enter anything, here the following commands you described to enable and start sddm.
More than this, my system is frozen, I cannot change to any other VT. I need to hard reset.

In which file could I read, what is the reason for this misbehave, pls?

Update: On another computer, an MSI Laptop, it is no problem to change to sddm the way I described in first post of this thread.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 22:35

linuxfluesterer wrote:In which file could I read, what is the reason for this misbehave, pls?
Have you checked if there are any error messages in the journal?

journalctl
Have you tried changing /etc/sddm.conf so that the KDE X Windows session is on VT7 instead of VT1?:

sabayon fitzcarraldo # grep VT /etc/sddm.conf
MinimumVT=7
Have you checked the contents of the file ~/.xsession-errors to see if there are any error messages?

Have you checked the contents of the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if there are any error messages?

What is the GPU in your machine? I cannot use SDDM on my laptop with an NVIDIA GPU, only on my laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon GPU or in VirtualBox on a machine with Intel IGP. On my laptop with an NVIDIA GPU I use LightDM.

EDIT: It could be that SDDM is loading before the graphics driver has finished loading. In which case, try the modifications described in the following Arch Linux Forums post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 4#p1471264

EDIT2: Here's something else to try if your machine has an NVIDIA GPU or NVIDIA Optimus hardware: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV ... timus#SDDM

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:53

Hallo Fitz.
I intensively studied the journalctl withe the result of this:

Aug 21 14:50:43 tuxedo-btrfs sddm[7667]: Greeter session started successfully
Aug 21 14:50:43 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: Reading from "/usr/share/xsessions/default.desktop"
Aug 21 14:50:43 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: Reading from "/usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop"
Aug 21 14:50:43 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: Reading from "/usr/share/xsessions/Xsession.desktop"
Aug 21 14:50:43 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: Reading from "/usr/share/wayland-sessions/plasmawayland.desktop"
Aug 21 14:50:43 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: Connected to the daemon.
Aug 21 14:50:43 tuxedo-btrfs sddm[7667]: Message received from greeter: Connect
Aug 21 14:50:43 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: Loading qrc:/theme/Main.qml...
Aug 21 14:50:44 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: Adding view for "DP1-8" QRect(0,0 -2147483648x-2147483648)
Aug 21 14:50:44 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 443, resource id: 0, major code: 1 (CreateWindow), minor code: 0
Aug 21 14:50:44 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 444, resource id: 2097165, major code: 2 (ChangeWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
Aug 21 14:50:44 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 445, resource id: 2097165, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
Aug 21 14:50:44 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 446, resource id: 2097165, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
Aug 21 14:50:44 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 447, resource id: 2097165, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
Aug 21 14:50:44 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 449, resource id: 2097165, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
Aug 21 14:50:44 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 450, resource id: 2097165, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
Aug 21 14:50:44 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 451, resource id: 2097165, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
Aug 21 14:50:44 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 454, resource id: 2097165, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
Aug 21 14:50:44 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 458, resource id: 2097165, major code: 2 (ChangeWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
Aug 21 14:50:44 tuxedo-btrfs sddm-greeter[7683]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 459, resource id: 2097165, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
This is the result of ~/.xsession-errors:

cat ~/.xsession-errors 
startkde: Starting up...
dbus-update-activation-environment: warning: error sending to systemd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1
Cannot find 'org.kde.KSplash.setStage' in object /KSplash at org.kde.KSplash
Already running
OpenGL vendor string:                   Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string:                 Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (Kaby Lake GT2) 
OpenGL version string:                  3.0 Mesa 17.1.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
Driver:                                 Intel
GPU class:                              Unknown
OpenGL version:                         3.0
GLSL version:                           1.30
Mesa version:                           17.1.5
X server version:                       1.19.3
Linux kernel version:                   4.11
Requires strict binding:                yes
GLSL shaders:                           yes
Texture NPOT support:                   yes
Virtual Machine:                        no
Service started, version: 7.0.0
Service started, version: 7.0.0
akonadi.collectionattributetable                   OK
akonadi.collectionmimetyperelation                 OK
akonadi.collectionpimitemrelation                  OK
akonadi.collectiontable                            OK
akonadi.flagtable                                  OK
akonadi.mimetypetable                              OK
akonadi.parttable                                  OK
akonadi.parttypetable                              OK
akonadi.pimitemflagrelation                        OK
akonadi.pimitemtable                               OK
akonadi.pimitemtagrelation                         OK
akonadi.relationtable                              OK
akonadi.relationtypetable                          OK
akonadi.resourcetable                              OK
akonadi.schemaversiontable                         OK
akonadi.tagattributetable                          OK
akonadi.tagremoteidresourcerelationtable           OK
akonadi.tagtable                                   OK                                                                           
akonadi.tagtypetable                               OK                                                                           
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)                          
kbuildsycoca4 running...                                                                                                        
kbuildsycoca4(3817) KBuildSycoca::checkTimestamps: checking file timestamps                                                     
kbuildsycoca4(3817) KBuildSycoca::checkTimestamps: timestamps check ok                                                          
kbuildsycoca4(3817) kdemain: Emitting notifyDatabaseChanged ()                                                                  
startkdeinitlock(3774)/kdeui (Wallet): Couldn't start kwalletd:  "Could not find service 'kwalletd.desktop'."                   

startkdeinitlock(3774)/kdeui (Wallet): Couldn't start kwalletd:  "Could not find service 'kwalletd.desktop'."                   

QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::walletOpened(bool) to MainWindow::walletOpened(bool)
Could not open pavucontrol using a library: Cannot load library libkdeinit5_pavucontrol: (libkdeinit5_pavucontrol: Kann die Shared-Object-Datei nicht öffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)

(pavucontrol:3949): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:68:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-x is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(pavucontrol:3949): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:69:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-y is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(pavucontrol:3949): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:70:34: The style property GtkCheckButton:indicator-size is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(pavucontrol:3949): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:71:36: The style property GtkCheckMenuItem:indicator-size is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(pavucontrol:3949): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:73:46: The style property GtkScrolledWindow:scrollbars-within-bevel is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(pavucontrol:3949): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:76:30: The style property GtkExpander:expander-size is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(pavucontrol:3949): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:83:29: The style property GtkStatusbar:shadow-type is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version
Warning: another Magneto instance is already running.
openjdk version "1.8.0_121"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 3.3.0) (Gentoo icedtea-3.3.0)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode)
[1:15:0822/112838.272636:ERROR:adm_helpers.cc(62)] Failed to query stereo recording.
Then I did the following: I booted with an (almost) fresh Sabayon USB-Stick as date of 18/08/2017. In KDE DE then I repeated your suggested steps in Yakuake with disable and stop lightdm. And, oh wonder, after changing to VT1 with <Ctrl - Alt - F1> I got a root terminal, where I was able to enter the next step, here: to start sddm. A check in systemctl showed me, that sddm was running properly and I could change back to graphical environment.

I have an Intel Core i7-7700T processor with a built in Intel 630 gpu.
https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au ... 7700t.html

So I assume, the delay hint from Arch-Linux is not the solution, because on a virgin Sabayon sddm seems to work properly.

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:33

if you restart a login manager session on active X session , session will be killed..obviously :mrgreen:

PS : I'm running sddm without problems
[Che Cos'è Il Calcolo Distribuito (BOINC)

BOINC ready ! Sabayon+BOINC = BILD ,my Sabayon spin :cyclops: - Ready to crunch for the Science everywhere :)

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:47

Ahem... I said, I 'killed' a running session in a virgin Sabayon (booted from stick), which was initially booted with lightdm. And it was successful to change to sddm here.

Sorry, but not really helpful.
sabayonino wrote: PS : I'm running sddm without problems
Anyway, thanks.

In principle I see a problem in systemd and managing login managers and Wayland also.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)

btw... the extraction of journalctl was copied after a boot sequence, which was not successful to login with sddm. First I changed to lightdm again, then I could boot and then I copied the relevant lines here.