Sabayon may be turn discontinued?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

albfneto
Sagely Hen

Sabayon may be turn discontinued?

Post by albfneto » Thu Jan 08, 2015 21:09

I seen some posts that said that Fabio have in mind to discontinue Sabayon...
For me and many users, this will leave us orphaned!. Fabio, please, not make this...
i enjoy also Gentoo, bu i enjoy Sabayon so much.
Sabayon is great, is a good Linux Distro, for me is the best, is my each day, favorite distro.... Since 2007.
I'm also one of the translators to Brazilian Portuguese.
the reason for the People report only few bugs is because( in my mind, personal oppinion) )each experienced user of Sabayon not have many problems in using it.
For the Begginners, i have in mind that Sabayon may be not so easy as Ubuntu or Mint....Because of this i hope that Sabayon "stay down" in Distrowatch.
Fabio and the Team, if possible, not discontinue Sabayon. It is a very good hardwork and innovative (ex. Entropy) when compared to many other Linux Distros.
Thanks Fabio, Thanks to all the Team.Great Job, Long Life for Sabayon.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Sabayon may be turn discontinued?

Post by Stupot » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:48

While I haven't heard this, you can't blame the guy. The amount of devs supporting Sabayon is quite low. What Fabio managed to acheive with this distro is remarkable. The idea of DVDs being auto generated is exactly how I think things should be done. The concepts behind entropy were quite good. But now that those things are in place, there's just bug fixing, and package management. Frankly, we don't necessarily need him for that, even though he's probably the best for the job. But if the community doesn't step up, who knows?

I never really figured out why Sabayon never picked up the publicity I think it deserves, but I'm sure that Fabio has plenty of other exciting projects he'd like to move on to without having to carry on with every project he's been involved with prior.

notzippy
Growing Hen

Post by notzippy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:00

albfneto wrote:I seen some posts that said that Fabio have in mind to discontinue Sabayon...
Reference ?

For myself I have never had such a smooth sailing OS on my pc. Sabayon absolutely rocks, I always reference this distro to my friends and would hate to see the plug pulled. Thanks Fabio, and thanks to all the Team - especially the sages in the forums they are amazingly patient with the newbs... I hope the ship continues to sail..

Cheers
Nz

greendave8
Growing Hen

Post by greendave8 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:18

Sabayon, ....simply the best distro available. I have hopped around a couple of timmes, but always come back. Fabio, you are a genius, please do not abandon this ship. Your work is incredible and Sabayon is wonderful.....

gd8

betazed
Young Hen

Post by betazed » Sun Jan 18, 2015 20:53

notzippy wrote:
albfneto wrote:I seen some posts that said that Fabio have in mind to discontinue Sabayon...
Reference ?

For myself I have never had such a smooth sailing OS on my pc. Sabayon absolutely rocks, I always reference this distro to my friends and would hate to see the plug pulled. Thanks Fabio, and thanks to all the Team - especially the sages in the forums they are amazingly patient with the newbs... I hope the ship continues to sail..

Cheers
Nz
Fabio posted on the Sabayon Facebook group.
For those who may not be on Facebook:
Since some people are complaining about the quality of support and images, without even considering that I (and others) don't make any money from Sabayon nor it's our full time job (I have in fact, another paid job), I am considering the idea of either shutting down the entire distro or giving it to somebody else to maintain. After 11 years, I am done with people acting like entitled _____, without considering the fact that I am doing all this for free and as hobby, on my spare time, which is the same time I am taking away from my family and friends.
I am done with asking people to report bugs or help contributing, nobody, apart from the core team, is willing to do that!? Fine, then expect the sunset.
I'll be forthright and say that having used many different Linux distributions over the years, I think Sabayon is hands-down the best. It is feature complete right out of the box and just sails along as a desktop for reasonably modern computers. The integrated media and Steam Big Picture modes are a unique selling point that got me to download it in the first place and, before I knew it, it was the OS on both of my PCs! I really do hope the community steps up with the reporting of bugs but also that the staff understand that doing so isn't always the most intuitive process. I certainly hope that, if Fabio leaves the project, it gets handed off to someone who is capable. Losing Sabayon would leave a gaping hole in the Linux desktop market as distros focus more and more on minimalism.

notzippy
Growing Hen

Post by notzippy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 0:59

Thanks for the repost, I don't do facebook. Personally I have not had the need to post a bug, (except in the form of a version upgrade). For a rolling distro sabayon has been pretty rock solid.

Nz

Andrea91
Baby Hen

Post by Andrea91 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:52

I really hope no! Sabayon is probably the best distro I ever used, it's really simple and it's one, or probably THE most stable rolling-release distro

Joecanadian
Baby Hen

Post by Joecanadian » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:02

Sabayon has been the sanest and most reliable 'nix that I've had the good fortune to run.

It is a consistently great distro, helmed by talented people who genuinely give a fuck.

Although many, myself included, have taken from the community far more than we've given, please don't mistake the silence of the satisfied users for indifference. (I'm certain that I'm not alone in preferring to quietly RTFM and heed the suggestions of persons far more knowledgeable than myself, than to steal the time of volunteers who have already answered the same question over and over and over and...)

Point the whiners, the wannabe haxors and the hipster bed-wetters to Canonical.

Don't let the bastards grind you down.

MadmanRB
Baby Hen

Post by MadmanRB » Sun Feb 01, 2015 23:14

I do hope other developers come to sabayon, I do like it as a distro and while I can go back to Ubuntu or fedora, or mageia I would like another distro on the side as a backup.

BAK
Baby Hen

Post by BAK » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:54

I also think that Sabayon is very good. It is definitely the fastest and most responsive of the distributions I use currently. It has also been very stable for a rolling release; I haven't had any problems with updates breaking the system since I started using it six months ago, even with many weeks between updates.

I decided to use Sabayon to try something different and to try a rolling release for the first time. And I have liked it. But it is missing something very important, from my perspective, when using it in binary only mode, which is a package manager -- or some separate tool -- that is able to build packages from an upstream tarball and integrate it into the package manager database. I have used the rpmbuild (which does most of the things the ebuild program does) tool used by the distributions that use RPM package management and it is very simple and flexible, providing users a way to install packages on their systems and still have it managed by the package manager.

It is impossible to do this kind of thing in Sabayon using only the binary package manager. So for a user who runs into outdated or unavailable packages in the repository, he/she must convert it to the source package management system. I know the maintainers are very nice about taking requests for missing packages, but some users would like to do this themselves. This is probably what makes users leave Sabayon for other distributions like Arch and Manjaro, which offer a rolling distribution but with a simpler way of creating packages from source when necessary.

I don't mean to sound unappreciative of the work that has gone into Sabayon, but it would be nice if entropy/equo could have some of the capabilities of ebuild incorporated into it without the rest of Portage incorporated into it such that Portage is still there, and used with for example

Code: Select all

equo ebuild <ebuild-file-name> package
and then the resulting .tbz package could be installed with the existing

Code: Select all

equo install <package-name>
This would, of course, require the user to learn how to prepare an ebuild script or maybe a simplified ebuild script format could be created for the new capability.

If I am wrong and have missed some capability that Entropy has of building packages from tarballs, or if there is a tool used by Sabayon on the server side to build packages from ebuilds or something similar, please let me know. Barring that I will be following the wiki guide to mixing Entropy/Portage and then learning Portage and ebuilds so I can continue using this great distribution.