Accessing another partition [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Accessing another partition [Solved]

Postby premio53 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:37

I have two partitions on my hard drive and am unable to access the other partition when booted up into Sabayon. I have run several distros in the past and have never had a problem like this. Being new to Sabayon I thought maybe there was something I needed to do or maybe it is the file manager. The other partition has Linux Mint 17 on it. Thanks for any help. The message I get is "Not authorized to perform operation."
Last edited by premio53 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
premio53
Baby Hen

Re: Accessing another partition

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:12

There are two commands, which you can execute to know more...
Open a root console and then type:
Code: Select all
fdisk -l
Is your Mint partition shown correctly?

Ok, then second, try to mount your partition manually, e.g. with your partition assumed as /dev/sda2 and your (new) mount point /mnt/LinuxMint (created with mkdir command):
Code: Select all
mount /dev/sda2 /media/LinuxMint

If you'll receive an error message, which maybe expresses, your parttion is unable to be read because of errors, let us know. Then you may "repair" your Mint partition.
If there is no error (as root then), you may change the rights, the attributes to access on the specified directories, you wish to access to. But as root, you should be able to access anyway.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: Accessing another partition

Postby svantoviit » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:16

premio53, it's hard to help you, as you don't provide any relevant information.
What DE do yo use? What file manager? What is your disk setup? What are the steps, which lead to the error? etc.

On XFCE you can adjust volume management through: Settings→Removable Drives and Media
and in Thunar through: Edit→Preferences→Advanced

The file system on the second partition belongs to a different user, so it's just normal, that you can't access it as another user. A home folder has usually the permissions drwx------ so only the owner can access it.
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Re: Accessing another partition (Solved)

Postby premio53 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:06

Thanks for the replies. I tried a couple of different file managers and am now able to access the partition. I have several different desktops installed and I guess by using a different file manager it allowed me to mount it.

Let me say that although I am not an advanced user since I migrated over to Linux a few years ago and have never used Linux commands, Sabayon is about as user friendly as any distro I have installed. I noticed it uses the latest version of Wine which allows me to run several Windows programs I couldn't before and other than the minor setback of not being able to access the other partition it has run like a charm. Thanks again.
premio53
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:48

Hmmm, you use Linux (Sabayon) to run several Wine programs?
I bet, there are many Linux comparative programs, which you can run direct under Linux.
And you can find them in the Sabayon repository with Rigo Application Browser and install with also.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby premio53 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:55

I started playing in chess tournaments for the first time in 18 years a couple of months ago and use different chess software. Chessmaster 11 would not even install in Linux Mint but runs fine in Sabayon under the latest Wine except for the analysis lines. A couple of other programs I use also run under the latest Wine.
premio53
Baby Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion