Sabayon... 2 Thumbs Up!

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon... 2 Thumbs Up!

Postby bobmc » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:40

I just tested the 14.07 Xfce x86 spin with the goal of having MPlayer vdpau work with a HVR-1950 TV encoder. And it worked after the system install without tinkering with the Linux guts, such as /etc. I only had to copy some firmware files from linuxtv tarball.

Since Sabayon deprecates 32-bit, I tried Xubuntu and Fedora as an alternate source of 32-bit linux. However, both have difficulties with nouveau which is an attempt to eliminate non-free nvidia drivers. Nouveau does not support vdpau and my attempt to bring back the good drivers ended in frustration with the complicated procedures.

All this is to support a low-powered gen 1 atom mini-itx. I need Sabayon to keep working until I can afford to get an x64 mini-itx board.
Sabayon 14.07+ (XFCE), Zotac ION330, Zotac ION220, HVR-1950, 950Q
bobmc
Young Hen

Re: Sabayon... 2 Thumbs Up!

Postby albfneto » Tue Aug 05, 2014 14:10

if you want, you can use antique sabayons without upgrade it.
I have an old Semprom 32 bits, with an old video board.
for mantain the compatibility, i use old xorg, old kernels and old legacy drivers, for this i use Sabayon 9 in it, without upgrading.
simply, deactivate magneto and no more upgrade sabayon.
Last edited by albfneto on Tue Aug 12, 2014 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Re: Sabayon... 2 Thumbs Up!

Postby bobmc » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:31

Now there are several distros with 32-bit spins but they will disappear sooner or later.. resistance is futile. The 32-bit hosts will become the second-class citizens of the Linux world supported for a time by the puppy distros and then...
Sabayon 14.07+ (XFCE), Zotac ION330, Zotac ION220, HVR-1950, 950Q
bobmc
Young Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion