How long have you had your Sabayon install running?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

How long have you had your Sabayon install running?

Postby exploder99 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 15:19

One of the questions that comes to mind with any rolling release is how long have you had your Sabayon install running? I have encountered a couple of minor issues since installing Sabayon Gnome, both were solved by editing configuration files, no big deal really.

Naturally, I would like to keep my install running for the life of my hardware if possible. Are there any precautions I should consider when updating? Are warnings issued when problems arise? The software manager provides some information but the information seems a little out of date.

I have seen a couple of good reviews on Sabayon outlining the benefits of running a Gentoo based system but I would be more interested in peoples experiences that have run it for a long period of time. Realistically, I understand there can be breakage with any given distribution but I would really appreciate your real world experiences.
exploder99
Young Hen

Re: How long have you had your Sabayon install running?

Postby MALsPa » Thu Jun 05, 2014 15:53

I had an installation going from June 2012 thru July 2013, then had to reinstall after not being able to boot into the system following an upgrade. There may have been a way to fix it but I gave up trying and went with a fresh installation. So my current installation dates from late July 2013. Using sabayon-weekly and bringing in updates once a week. This installation was done with Sabayon_Linux_13.04_x86_KDE.iso.
MALsPa
Young Hen

Postby exploder99 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 13:46

Malspa, just wanted to thank you again for all of the advise. I did a lot of reading last night! :)
exploder99
Young Hen

Postby albfneto » Mon Jun 09, 2014 23:57

i have 4 Sabayon installations. I use it since the version 3.4F, 6 or 7 years ago.

My main installation have almost 4 years, it was originally a 5.2 version. "Rolled" since this version. it is in version 14. Limbo Repository.

My other installations:

one, originally was a version 6, it is 32 bits, in a old computer, it was upgraded until the version 9. No more upgraded due to the old NVIDIA board. I use sometimes, in the version 9 itself.

other, was originally an Sabayon 6, upgraded until, now, 14 version

here, in the university, my Sabayon was installed from a 10 version live DVD, rolled until 14, Limbo Repository.

No special care, except not use Portage in it, at least for the begginers. used without care, Portage may break Sabayon easily.

upgrade normally using entropy or rigo. when you have a problematic video board, speciallyy ATI boards, not upgrade the kernel, because each new kernel requires a new video driver.

Sabayon needs some expertise. When i was a Noob in Sabayon, i lost 6 installations!

Begginers re-install often, but when you know how sabayon works, it is even possible to mix the package installers and use both Entropy and Portage.

Sometimes, after upgrades, something is broken, but when you have some expertise in using sabayon, you will solve the problems.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby svantoviit » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:03

exploder99 wrote:One of the questions that comes to mind with any rolling release is how long have you had your Sabayon install running?

I run Sabayon since 2009 and had to reinstall once, when the hard disk died.
Code: Select all
$ cat /etc/sabayon-edition
Sabayon Linux 6 amd64 XFCE
$ cat /etc/sabayon-release
Sabayon Linux amd64 14.07
$ uname -mr
3.14.0-sabayon x86_64

According this info I'm rolling since July 2011 starting with kernel 2.6.39, successfully mixing - maintaining approximately 80 packages by Portage. During this time I moved from the proprietary ATI driver to the open source one since support for my card has been dropped, but I can't remember any serious issues.

exploder99 wrote:Are there any precautions I should consider when updating?

• Read the announcements/notice board:
    $ equo notice <repo>
  • Check the forums.
  • Read the post install messages.
  • Update regularly.
  • Use common sense.
  • Keep backups.
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby joost » Tue Jun 10, 2014 19:30

[email protected] ~ $ cat /etc/sabayon-edition
Sabayon Linux 20120827 amd64 MATE

Back then I wanted to clean install because some hardware changes, otherwise I'd been rolling it for many many years.

:D
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby exploder99 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 23:25

Thanks for the replys! It sounds like if I pay attention my days of reinstalling could be over. :D I have read all of the documentation but it is so much better hearing long time users experiences. I have installed over 300 updates so far and my computer is running great! Thanks for sharing your experiences!
exploder99
Young Hen

Postby Stupot » Thu Jun 12, 2014 18:44

[email protected] ~ $ cat /etc/sabayon-edition
Sabayon Linux 8 amd64 KDE
[email protected] ~ $ ls -la /etc/sabayon-edition
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 26 Feb 1 2012 /etc/sabayon-edition

I'm in the same boat as joost. I've had this install ever since I replaced the hard drive. It was easier to reinstall than move the OS.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby albfneto » Sat Jun 14, 2014 14:03

Not afraid if you need to reinstall.
Beginners reinstall often, but with more expertise, no more need to reinstall.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion