KDE sluggish after update

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

KDE sluggish after update

Postby moldmaker » Sat Mar 15, 2014 21:26

Hi you all,

after an update today KDE has become sluggish. It takes 5 Minutes (I measured the time) until the desktop is ready. When the splashscreen with the five icons appears, all goes well until the fifth icon is highlighted (the one with the sabayon footprint). Then the system stops. It does nothing. When I change to another console and watch what's happening using top, I can see that it does ... nothing. After 5 minutes, the desktop becomes ready.

I tried the following: Renaming the .kde4 directory to force the creation of a new one. Effect: The desktop is ready really fast, but there is nothing in it. I would have to configure everyting from scratch, including the nice activities.
Then I created a new user and logged in. Effect: It is a little less sluggish, but it still is sluggish.

What is this? KDE was running really fast and smoothly before the update. How can I fix this? It is KDE 4.12.2 now; I don't know what it was before. Do I have to change some settings in KDE? All the nepomuk stuff is disabled. Any ideas? Help is appreciated.

Mm.
moldmaker
Baby Hen

Re: KDE sluggish after update

Postby totedati » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:30

you should at least check .xsession-errors file from your home directory for clues why kde is so sluggish ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby moldmaker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:11

From xsession-errors I learned that some process gets caught in a loop. I found a hint on the net pointing to the systray widget, so I removed the system tray from the control bar. Now the waiting time is down to ~1 min. No information on loops anymore. But before the update, there was no delay at all!
When I add the systray widget manually, KDE is not responding anymore, but other programs run fine. Have to wait some minutes, then KDE responds. This widget seems to cause the trouble.
Can anyone confirm this? Or am I the only one? Maybe I should report this to the KDE developers.

Mm.
moldmaker
Baby Hen

Postby moldmaker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 17:36

I consider performing a downgrade for KDE. How do I do that? Are there special repositories containing older versions?

Edit: I found the "Frozen" repository with KDE 4.11.2 in it, but when I tried to downgrade I got error messages and the action was aborted. I am afraid that the downgrade would break my system. So I disabled "Frozen".
Guess I have to wait until an update for KDE will be released. Maybe then the problem is fixed.

Mm.
moldmaker
Baby Hen

Postby Provia » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:33

I don't think that this is a problem related to the kde version since I (and others) don't have this issue.
I suggest you to try to move in some other directory the .kde4 folder and let kde reset all the settings to default at the next reboot. If this not solve your problem you can always put your old config directory to it's previous location.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby moldmaker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:47

Thank you Provia, I am going to try that and report back.

Mm.
moldmaker
Baby Hen

Postby B3rtm3n » Wed Mar 19, 2014 21:35

I have the same problem, it takes way longer to get to the logon screen.

My father called 2 days ago, both KDE installations on 2 diferent PC are having major issues, 1 is not starting and takes about 45 min to get started and has not internet or sometimes does not start at all.
B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Mar 19, 2014 22:36

B3rtm3n wrote:I have the same problem, it takes way longer to get to the logon screen.

My father called 2 days ago, both KDE installations on 2 diferent PC are having major issues, 1 is not starting and takes about 45 min to get started and has not internet or sometimes does not start at all.

That sounds more like an issue from the systemd migration than a KDE issue.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby moldmaker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 16:56

I renamed the.kde4 folder and let the system create a new one. Of course I have to rebuild the desktop. As soon as I add the systray widget, KDE does not respond for several minutes. So this is a failure.
Too bad. Guess I have to wait for some updates.

Mm.
moldmaker
Baby Hen

Postby totedati » Fri Mar 21, 2014 17:08

moldmaker wrote:From xsession-errors I learned that some process gets caught in a loop

how? needed more info ... what process? listing of that clue can help
moldmaker wrote:I found a hint on the net pointing to the systray widget

where?

systray is an important widget for any kde desktop i think disabling it is too radical :bom:
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion