Hardened Gentoo Kernels and Sabayon

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Hardened Gentoo Kernels and Sabayon

Postby Ralph_Ellis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:01

Around the time of Sabayon 10, Gentoo Hardened kernels were offered as an option in the repositories. This does not exist with Sabayon 13. Is this because the Gentoo Hardened kernels introduced too many problems from a support angle or is there an upstream problem with the Hardened kernels? I know that right now, you cannot have genkernel and entropy installed at the same time because of an issue with pax-utils 0.7 which is required by entropy but genkernel will only work properly with pax-utils 0.5.
Just for fun, I tried the Gentoo kernel building process myself but I can never seem to get the mix of options in menuconfig or xconfig just right. I have compiled custom kernels in FreeBSD but the number of choices there is dramatically less and there are fewer choices that can kill the system.
I don't have a critical need for the Gentoo Hardened kernel but, like most of us, I do enjoy exploring different configurations.
Ralph_Ellis
Baby Hen

Re: Hardened Gentoo Kernels and Sabayon

Postby lxnay » Tue Dec 10, 2013 14:20

Gentoo hardened kernels are used to lag behind the mainline kernel and Gentoo doesn't offer them in a git repository form, which makes the maintenance a real nightmare. Use the regular kernels and move on :)
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Re: Hardened Gentoo Kernels and Sabayon

Postby Ralph_Ellis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 20:40

I figured that it was a maintenance issue. Thanks for the information.
As I tell my friends at the NSA, "Just because you are paranoid, it does not mean that someone is not actually following you."
Ralph_Ellis
Baby Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion