eclipse

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

eclipse

Postby imaginasys » Mon Dec 02, 2013 17:25

:mrgreen: Sorry for dumb question but I'm new to Sabayon,

I have search on the sabayon/gentoo site & on rigo but not found any eclipse IDE package other than the 2 following :

dev-java/eclipse-ecj dev-java/ant-eclipse-ecj

These are compilers for eclipse, but I have not found eclipse itself ...

Is there a package to install Eclipse for java somewhere here ? If yes, where can I find it ?

I would like to install eclipse to use it with java for a project. Later I would like to add python and play with python to learn it.

Regards,
Bernard :mrgreen:
imaginasys
Simple Hen

Re: eclipse

Postby Stupot » Mon Dec 02, 2013 18:54

Looks like the eclipse-sdk is only available via some gentoo overlays: http://gpo.zugaina.org/dev-util/eclipse ... /ChangeLog

You can put in a package request to have it included in entropy, or attempt to add a gentoo overlay and install it (although make sure you handle mixing portage and entropy packages correctly).
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby imaginasys » Mon Dec 02, 2013 19:58

I'm familiar with gentoo, I used it many years. I know too what problems an overlay can bring (dependencies, etc). And I would have to compile it and recompile it each time it's modified. I'm on a work computer and I would like to avoid compiling things on it because I told my boss that I was using Sabayon instead of a "house Ubuntu" I don't like. One of my point in favor of Sabayon was that it's a binary distro and I wouldn't have to compile. That defeats my argument in favor of using Sabayon. And I have to say I like Sabayon since the few weeks I've been using it and now I'm getting to know it more each day I keep using it.

Not that I'm effraid to use portage and layman for certains packages. But I'm effraid that I might get in a mess of dependencies that would bring me back to the equivalent of gentoo and I would have to compile half of the world at each week.

But I'm starting a project that definitly need eclipse ... and I can't wait to start not to get behind schedule...

So I will try install it with the overlay that you so kindly provided me. And I want to make a request for the package to be included in entropy . Could you explain me the procedure to make such a request please ?

Regards,

imaginasys
Simple Hen

Postby lxnay » Mon Dec 02, 2013 20:22

Just download the executable from eclipse.org. It works much better than the overlay alternative.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby imaginasys » Mon Dec 02, 2013 23:05

And would it be more stable from eclipse.org than from the gentoo overlay ?

I have already installed the one from gentoo, but I could unmerge it and use the better alternative if it's really better.

Could you explain in more detail why the eclipse.org version is better than the one from the poly-c gentoo overlay ?

I just want the thing to work well and avoid troubles...

Regards,
imaginasys
Simple Hen

Postby imaginasys » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:57

OK ! I will answer my own question. I have installed eclipse from the gentoo overlay and it is the "standard edition" not the "Enterprise Edition". It is missing many things for the web applications and other tools. You can try to add the missing stuff with the "install software" menu, but it is a very daunting task since there is a lot missing... Eclipse standard edition weight 197MB and enterprise edition is 245MB. So there is 48MB of very usefull stuff that is not included.

So I uninstalled the eclipse version from the gentoo overlay and installed from the Eclipse.org site (http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-java-ee-developers/keplersr1 ).

Thanks a lot for the good advice,

imaginasys
Simple Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion