Home directory not detected [Abandoned]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Home directory not detected [Abandoned]

Postby cmost » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:24

Strange problem today... I turned on my computer as usual and when it booted, it went straight to a command prompt. Logging in caused a message:

Code: Select all
No directory, logging in with HOME = /

The BIOS reports no problems with the hard disk that contains the HOME partition. Moreover, when I boot from a live CD of any distro, I can plainly see my home directory and all files intact. Any ideas on how to fix this quick? I have Limbo enabled and installed a few updates yesterday but stupidly I did not pay attention to what they were because all updates have been smooth as silk lately. :( Unfortunately, logging in as root and trying to check for updates in this crippled state that might automagically fix the problem fails too. I've had my system installed for quite awhile now and do not want to have to wipe and re-install. Please help!!
Last edited by cmost on Sat Nov 30, 2013 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Re: Home directory not detected

Postby cmost » Sat Nov 30, 2013 19:26

Such an outpouring of help on this issue guys. :D

Google was not at all helpful in sorting it out either, and trust me, I searched relentlessly. So, I tried to do a fresh install with the KDE daily from Nov. 20th. Unfortunately, while the daily disk booted fine and the installation went without issue, the installer apparently couldn't write Grub to the MBR which resulted in an unbootable system. I tried it twice, same result. My system does not seem to cotton to Systemd (Arch and any of its derivatives like Manjaro or Antergos would hang while booting from their respective live CDs) so I'm moving back to tried and trusted Debian (by way of LMDE) for now. It's been a nice ride with Sabayon these past few years. As Arnold Schwarzenegger said in Terminator: "I'll be back"
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion