nvidia 8800 problems

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

evm
Growing Hen

nvidia 8800 problems

Post by evm » Wed Jan 03, 2007 21:06

In 3.2 i had to upgrade nvidia-drivers to 1.0.9746 and that resulted in major problem.

The first problem is that when I switch from X11 to console the system would freeze. Don't know why. After that the system would refuse to boot.
When I try to launch beryl, the system would freeze. I could play quake3-demo, unreal, quake4-demo, and all the 3d games and max graphics settings and it wouldn't freeze.

I thought what when you announced that 3.25 that you would use the newest release of nvidia-drivers which adds support for 8800, but when I downloaded and installed using text-mode, I was shocked to see that it is not 1.0.9746, but a older version. When I tried to upgrade the same things would happen in 3.2.

Did it forget something or did something wrong? I thought that Linux was more stable then this. Before nvidia 8800 I was using fglrx (ati xpress 200) without any problem (well I had to use xgl instead of aiglx but it least it was stable). I also thought that the nvidia drivers were better then ati drivers, i find that the fglrx is more stable for me then nvidia.

All thought the winxp driver works fine for me. I hate winxp but it least the gpu driver worked.

Any ideas?

johnnyhay
Technological Hen

Post by johnnyhay » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:30

OH MY GOD!!
There's a new driver. You're in luck. :).

Code: Select all

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
Hope that helps but one question.
Why did you buy a card that powerful? You must have a real big display with lot of multitasking. Good luck trying to max it out.

evm
Growing Hen

Post by evm » Thu Jan 04, 2007 15:59

i'm having trouble with the newsiest release of nvidia drivers

johnnyhay
Technological Hen

Post by johnnyhay » Thu Jan 04, 2007 23:55

Is the problem, when you download and try to install it, it gives you an error?

Also, does your system boot into a environment, like KDE, besides the console or text mode you've previously discussed?

evm
Growing Hen

Post by evm » Fri Jan 05, 2007 21:08

when i install the driver no errors, when i boot up (into KDE) no errors, when i try to exit X11 the whole system just freezes (the screen goes off, keyboard not responding, etc...)