canon printer does not print

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

canon printer does not print

Postby microfilm » Tue Aug 27, 2013 14:25

as the title I installed a Canon multifunction printer pixma 5350 (not in Wlan usb) which is recognized, and added the proposed cups + gutenprint drivers, but I can not print the test page, it says: unable to locate printer

thanks for the answers
microfilm
Simple Hen

Re: canon printer does not print

Postby tollgate » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:02

What method did you use to install your printer?
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby microfilm » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33

What method did you use to install your printer?

print settings , add printer, detected ok, add drivers proposed, cups + gutenprint

P.S. I have another computer with sabayon, and 2 different printers canon usb connected, using the same method and immediately recognized them immediately operational. The problem is with another PC connected to the wlan (printer canon pixma mg 5350 is wlan) the pc wlan connects perfectly and correctly navigate on the Internet.
microfilm
Simple Hen

Postby tollgate » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17

I never find the print settings method works that well.

Try deleting the printer and adding via the cups web interface http://localhost:631

Then click the administration tab and then add printer.
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby B3rtm3n » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:40

Just a question.
Do you use this printer as network printer? Is it connected directly to your router with an ethernet cable?
B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Postby B3rtm3n » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:45

Ok forget it

just was able to use printer and scanner on all systems but seems that since latest sabayon updates CUPS is not functioning properly

I used a static IP in my router in order to avoid problems with XSane as network scan was not working in the epson.conf file and I had to add the IP adress in it to get XSane see my scanner

however since latest updates on both my pc printing with sabayon stopped working, both Windows and Manjaro are doing fine only Sabayon is not working
B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Postby microfilm » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:20

Just a question.
Do you use this printer as network printer? Is it connected directly to your router with an ethernet cable?

the printer is connected to a PC with USB, the printer is connected to the wireless modem and my problem is to use the wireless printer, the printer connected to a computer usb works perfectly the problem is with the wireless.

Ok forget it

just was able to use printer and scanner on all systems but seems that since latest sabayon updates CUPS is not functioning properly

I used a static IP in my router in order to avoid problems with XSane as network scan was not working in the epson.conf file and I had to add the IP adress in it to get XSane see my scanner

however since latest updates on both my pc printing with sabayon stopped working, both Windows and Manjaro are doing fine only Sabayon is not working

What you're telling me that it is a problem of sabayon?
microfilm
Simple Hen

Postby B3rtm3n » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:54

I have a problem with CUPS on Sabayon, it is working on the other linux distro I am using.
I can use the scanner but not the printer since latest installed updates.

I never set up a printer like that, I connected mine with the router through wifi and had it as network printer at the time
Now it is connected by cable and I have set a static IP for my printer in order to avoid problems with Xsane.

Maybe this will help
http://support-th.canon-asia.com/conten ... 19800.html
B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Postby B3rtm3n » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:13

I installed the KDE print manager

Although it has less options than CUPS the set up is almost the same

Used the same settings as with CUPS but now my printer does work :-?

Do not know if you use KDE but else you should try the print manager too
B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Postby microfilm » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:19

I use gnome ... alternatives?
microfilm
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion