Pipelight in Sabayon repo?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pipelight in Sabayon repo?

Postby albfneto » Sun Jul 06, 2014 15:23

See this, pipelight dependency:

https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=31864&p=171502&hilit=pipelight#p171502

seems to me that another brazilian user was compiled this

see in the Bugzilla also:

https://bugs.sabayon.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=pipelight
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
albfneto@fcfrp.usp.br
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby MadmanRB » Sun Jul 06, 2014 21:42

albfneto wrote:See this, pipelight dependency:

https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=31864&p=171502&hilit=pipelight#p171502

seems to me that another brazilian user was compiled this

see in the Bugzilla also:

https://bugs.sabayon.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=pipelight

Yeah but its something I need to fiddle around with not something I can just install.
I really dont like compiling unless it is absolutely necessary.
MadmanRB
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:14

For those of you not able to use the Pipelight plug-in with Firefox 30.0 for Linux, a possible alternative would be to install Firefox 30.0 for Windows and the Silverlight plug-in in WINE. Although I have not tried it in my SL installations, I was able to do that successfully in the Gentoo installation on my main laptop. For details, see the blog post: Installing Firefox for Windows and the Silverlight plug-in in WINE. If you are desperate, you might like to try it in SL to see if you can browse Web sites that require the Silverlight plug-in.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:06

Thank you, Fitz.
For interest, I've tried at least to download Firefox 30 (32bit) for Windows and Silverlight (32bit), too.
But I do not find any Silverlight.exe:Zone.Identifier or (possible also), I don't know how to handle it.
To install Silverlight your description will be an alternative, when I'm going to visit a friend, who is an absolute newbe to Linux (though, many years ago, he had a course in command line using Redhat), but he doesn't want to use Windows 8 on his new notebook after exit from Windows XP.
I have installed a Sabayon version for him and in next month, I want to install programs and tools to make it possible to watch services like German Maxdome with Linux (KDE) DE. We live in different cities, so at least a basic installation must work (include teamviewer). Then, I hope, maintenance for me will get easier.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 13:36

linuxfluesterer wrote:But I do not find any Silverlight.exe:Zone.Identifier or (possible also), I don't know how to handle it.

I had never come across such a file type before, but I have found out what it is:

File that contains metadata describing the security zones associated with another file; generated automatically when a file is downloaded from the Internet or received as an email attachment; often created by Internet Explorer.

See the article http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/zone.identifier for full details.

You can forget about the Silverlight.exe:Zone.Identifier file, if one exists or not. The important thing is to download the Silverlight installer, which is a .exe file.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 14:20

And ... thanks again, Fitz.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 14:36

You're welcome. BTW, I've edited the blog post I mentioned earlier so that the freshly installed 32-bit Firefox for Windows is used to download the Silverlight plug-in installer, rather than doing it beforehand in (potentially) a 64-bit browser. The reason I changed the procedure is because some people have reported that the 64-bit Silverlight plug-in Installer was downloaded. With the 32-bit WINEARCH the 32-bit Silverlight plug-in Installer is required.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 15:29

I have today installed and can use the latest version of Pipelight successfully in Gentoo with Firefox 30.0, so in princple it should be possible for the SL developers to build the latest version of Pipelight, and the latest version of WINE with the Compholio patches, for SL's Entropy.

I updated the ebuild for Pipelight to the latest version (0.2.7.1) and have uploaded it to the Gentoo Bugzilla (Report No. 481596). I need -binary-pluginloader in the USE flags to get it to merge, but it works fine with Firefox 30.0. Also, as more features in Pipelight work if WINE is compiled with the Compholio patches, I had already merged WINE with the pipelight USE flag. Full details of the installation and configuration of Pipelight to work nicely with my AMD ATI GPU are given in my latest blog post today: Installing and using the Pipelight browser plug-in with Firefox 30 for Linux.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby OmegaSW » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:06

You guys should now be able to install wine 1.7.21 from portage with the pipelight useflag, and it will install wine with the compholio patches.

Once you have portage setup, it should be as easy as
USE=pipelight emerge app-emulation/wine-1.7.21

I'm on official Gentoo, so I have not tested that it will work on Sabayon, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

After that, you should be able to use pipelight and netflix.
Sabayon KDE 64Bit Edition
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Steam User
OmegaSW
Simple Hen

Previous

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion