USB mounting and unmounting really anoying.

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

USB mounting and unmounting really anoying.

Postby simonorono » Thu Aug 22, 2013 13:46

I downloaded and installed the lates release (13.08). The downloaded iso was KDE one from the press release.

When I try to mount or unmount ANY usb device the system request my administrator password. I'm getting tired of this, is there a way so I could edit this behavior?
simonorono
Baby Hen

Re: USB mounting and unmounting really anoying.

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 14:03

Hallo simonorono.
How do you mount? With Dolphin?
Do you receive a KDE message from taskbar, that a new media was found with choices what you want to do?
-loading photos with Gwenview
-open with filemanager
This is what you should see, when you connect your device.
And when you select 'open with filemanager', dolphin should start with mounted device and and show it's content.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby simonorono » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:11

linuxfluesterer wrote:Hallo simonorono.
How do you mount? With Dolphin?
Do you receive a KDE message from taskbar, that a new media was found with choices what you want to do?
-loading photos with Gwenview
-open with filemanager
This is what you should see, when you connect your device.
And when you select 'open with filemanager', dolphin should start with mounted device and and show it's content.

When I hit the "open with filemanager" it request the password, also if I click the device from the dolphin window. Sometimes request the password for unmounting.
simonorono
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:19

Sad to hear. Just for try...
Could you download a Sabayon iso from homepage:
https://www.sabayon.org/release/press-release-sabayon-1308
burn it or put it on USB stick with 'dd' command. Then boot from the new media.
When you have life desktop, then connect one of your USB medias to see, what happens. That you can mount (access depends) without being asked for password?

I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby simonorono » Tue Aug 27, 2013 15:14

linuxfluesterer wrote:Sad to hear. Just for try...
Could you download a Sabayon iso from homepage:
https://www.sabayon.org/release/press-release-sabayon-1308
burn it or put it on USB stick with 'dd' command. Then boot from the new media.
When you have life desktop, then connect one of your USB medias to see, what happens. That you can mount (access depends) without being asked for password?

No, it don't request for pasword.
simonorono
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 19:04

Due to the rather fresh installation (22th of August), I would really recommend you to reinstall the Sabayon (this one from original Sabayon website), you've downloaded and tested live. It might be possible then, that you will have some upgrades of packages, because a lot has happened in last days.
Sorry, but this is I would do, because when rights are affected, I'm not really firm with.

Anyway, hope to help you.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby simonorono » Fri Aug 30, 2013 18:40

linuxfluesterer wrote:Due to the rather fresh installation (22th of August), I would really recommend you to reinstall the Sabayon (this one from original Sabayon website), you've downloaded and tested live. It might be possible then, that you will have some upgrades of packages, because a lot has happened in last days.
Sorry, but this is I would do, because when rights are affected, I'm not really firm with.

Anyway, hope to help you.

I updated my system to KDE 4.11 and now the problem is solved, is only requesting password to mount partitions of my hard drive (As it is meant to be). Thanks
simonorono
Baby Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion