13.08G Some issues list

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

13.08G Some issues list

Postby Antidieu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 22:26

I installed (and updated) S13.08 Gnome 64-bit and I must say it looks fantastic, however there are some rough edges:

1. Plymouth doesn't look as good as in Fedora or Ubuntu: always in lo-res and doesn't seem to get along well with systemd. The previous splash screen was way better.
  2. No calculator app, seriously? I need to use it a lot but gcalctool package is not available in the repos anymore.
  3. File sharing doesn't work. Whenever I try to share files through Share Folder... from Nautilus, a dialog appears saying "The configuration could not be loaded. You are not allowed to acces the system configuration." How am I supposed to share my files over the network?
  4. Same happens with Shared Folders from App Overview. Also I noticed gnome-extra/gnome-user-share package is missing from the repos (fortunately there is rsync, scp and the like).
  5. Sabayon's default wallpaper is not directly choosable from Background settings in Control Center.
  6. Avahi sometimes refuses to terminate and slows down the shutdown process.
  7. Gnome Shell has a huge memory leak (maybe upstream bug).
  8. Nautilus is unable to auto mount USB flash drives.
  9. Gnome Shell became slow, sluggish and laggy after recent updates.
  10. There's also video tearing all the time.
  11. System doesn't hibernate when battery charge is critical.
Solutions

Problem 2. Install package gnome-extra/gnome-calculator.
Problem 5. Use Gnome Tweak Tool to choose wallpaper instead.
Problem 6. I reinstalled packges sys-auth/nss-mdns, net-dns/avahi-base, net-dns/avahi-gtk3 and now computer shuts down lighting fast again.
Problem 7. Upstream bug, won't fix.
Problem 8. Solved in kernel >=linux-sabayon-3.10.10.
Problem 9. Solved after more recent updates.
Last edited by Antidieu on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:48, edited 13 times in total.
Gateway M-6804m (2 GiB RAM)
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250
Intel GM965/GL960
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Re: 13.08G Some issues list

Postby wintermute » Wed Aug 21, 2013 0:44

first, i'd like to compliment sabayon on one of the nicest implementations of the latest gnomeshell that i have had a chance to test myself.. it is, imho, only second to fedora (19) which is to expected, but i'm personally much happier running a slightly glitchier, hopefully only to get better with updates, gnome ontop of sabayon, than living with the cat.. i don't know why some things were stripped off of gnome (the above mentioned calculator, weather, boxes, etc.) but i don't miss them much..
now that i have expressed my overall appreciation for how 3.8 feels to me, here are some less positive findings, mostly superficial, that i have encountered so far..
1) as weird as it may seem, it is real, not sure if something specific to my particular setup: when a wallpaper is chosen from "pictures", and not every bitmap shows this, a glitchy randomly pulsating horizontal line appears and flickers, a single pixel thick, where the border of the "bottom panel" or the notification tray is meant to be when called on..
2) the option to double click title bar to shade (roll up) window is gone after update (was accessible through the gnome tweak tool)..
3) the alacarte does not work.. it is a graphical frontend controlling the gnome's application launchers.. i have used it a lot in fedora to be able to start multiple blender builds from the "menu".. it does write a .desktop in /root/.local/share/applications (if i remember well now, not writing from my sabayon machine) but the program itself seems not to function as expected (does nothing) :P
i will post more if and when i run into more "anomalies"..
all these are minor issues, far from a deal breaker for me (and i am pretty sensitive to my desktops i've been told, and a self diagnosed ocd sufferer, a designer by trade with all the professional distortions imaginable) which can only confirm that sabayon with gnome are a great match and together make an excellent desktop experience..
keep 'em coming.. thank you..
wintermute
Simple Hen

Postby Antidieu » Wed Aug 21, 2013 16:50

wintermute wrote:i don't know why some things were stripped off of gnome (the above mentioned calculator, weather, boxes, etc.) but i don't miss them much.

Well, I don't mind the absence of weather, boxes, clocks, etc. either but calculator is a very common accesory in DEs and it's really essential to me as I need to do many calculations. :x

the option to double click title bar to shade (roll up) window is gone after update

That was took out by design in Gnome 3.8 but that's something I won't be missing. :|
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Postby sihox » Wed Aug 21, 2013 18:46

Antidieu wrote:Well, I don't mind the absence of weather, boxes, clocks, etc. either but calculator is a very common accesory in DEs and it's really essential to me as I need to do many calculations. :x

Try installing
Code: Select all
gnome-extra/gnome-calculator
I think it's just gcalc tool :)
sihox
Young Hen

Postby wintermute » Wed Aug 21, 2013 20:00

Antidieu wrote:That was took out by design in Gnome 3.8 but that's something I won't be missing. :|

wouldn't bet my life on it, but it was something that i could do (through the tweak tool, not gnome settings, of course) while testing a sabayon gnome live session, i assume the update broke something between the two (scientifically saying :lol: ) and it is to me a rather useful feature when dealing with a cluttered desktop (mostly a habit from using gimp without the single windowed mode, which i still prefer opted out actually)..
anyway.. won't make me give up on gnome, as i've said, even in the state that it is at the moment, i find it the optimal experience for my needs.. pity to have something, no matter how insignificant, only to be taken away, no?? but i do not agree that it is by design.. it was there, something broke, might return, might not..
wintermute
Simple Hen

Postby Antidieu » Wed Aug 21, 2013 20:51

sihox wrote:Try installing
gnome-extra/gnome-calculator
I think it's just gcalc tool :)

Oh sihox, you're right. I couldn't find it when searching Rigo but I did with equo search, it was there all the time. That's one less issue, many many thanks. :D
Last edited by Antidieu on Thu Aug 22, 2013 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Postby Cb7 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:01

8. It is upstream bug. AFAIK it is present since Gnome 3.2, maybe earlier. Since they haven't repaired it yet, I doubt that it will be done soon (or whether it'll be done anyway)..

10. Check config; whether you're using graphic card acceleration or not:
eselect opengl list
If it is set ok, then not really much can be done about this (read: it's a Gnome issue)...
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby Antidieu » Thu Aug 22, 2013 22:25

Cb7 wrote:8. It is upstream bug. AFAIK it is present since Gnome 3.2, maybe earlier.

I had read somewhere that the memory leak started in 3.6.

10. Check config; whether you're using graphic card acceleration or not

OpenGL is set right, I know now X is not consuming too much CPU: it has actually become glitchy and very slow since the update, in fact desktop animation looks slow and sluggish and video of any kind suffers from tearing all the time, so I'm editing 10 to make it clear.
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Postby Cb7 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 22:56

Antidieu wrote:I had read somewhere that the memory leak started in 3.6.

I've been using Gnome Shell since 3.2 and for long time it have been leaking. One of reasons I no longer use/have it.
Still, perhaps it could be different leaks we're talking about, though to think that there is more than 1 unfixed for so long...
Or simply my memory also might have some leaks :shock:

From my point of view I would like to give an advice: it's a sinking ship, leave it like all rats already did :)
(I don't intend to to start flamewar, it's just that it's hard to watch users in pain, just because Gnome devs decided so...)
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby Antidieu » Fri Aug 23, 2013 0:34

Cb7 wrote:From my point of view I would like to give an advice: it's a sinking ship, leave it like all rats already did :)

I'm sticking to the crew for now, but who knows maybe I should leave the ship too like the rest of the rats :lol:. What I really hate about Gnome is its tendency to break things between each release of GTK3 and thus the lack of backwards compatibility. It is now clear that Gnome 3 has just been a long β-testing phase in the road to their beloved Gnome OS.

Anyway I still think the sluggishness of the desktop is not Gnome's fault, it rather seems an Xorg/Mesa/Intel thing:

Slowness after an upgrade to libGL 9 and Intel-DRI 9

Too bad I cannot downgrade without reinstalling the whole system.
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion