[Fix included] Latest updates really did a number... (gdm)

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: [Fix included] Latest updates really did a number... (gd

Postby ph03 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 18:23

I already tried to switch to systemd, but almost all my init.d services are not supported, or maybe I wasn't able to find out how to start them. Is it possible to use these services in a kind of legacy mode using systemd?
ph03
Young Hen
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:43

Re: [Fix included] Latest updates really did a number... (gd

Postby slacker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:13

lxnay wrote:If you get timeout on LVM, it either means that your kernel is too old (3.3? 3.5, 3.6?) or you are not running our kernels. You probably built them yourself without using genkernel-next or the likes.

There is nothing to fix, if you diverge from what we provide out of the box, there is a high risk to run into real troubles.


First of all, thank you for coming in and trying to help out. It is appreciated.

I have been using the 3.5 sabayon kernel.
I have never diverged from the system software provided by the sabayon distro and I have always fully upgraded regularly when the magneto app or 'equo update' says updates are available.

I have not seen any new kernels listed in the update list provided by 'equo update' for a long time and 'eselect kernel list' has been showing linux-3.5.0-sabayon as the only available choice.

I have now installed the 3.10 sabayon kernel, switched to it using 'eselect kernel set' and 'eselect bzimage set' and installed the correct nvidia-drivers for that kernel then switched to systemd.

It gets past the error message I had previously, but GDM still crashes like before and I have to log in at a console, kill the GDM process and get into Gnome using startx.

So this is definitely not fixed.

lxnay wrote:If you are running GNOME 3.8, do yourself a favor: switch to systemd ASAP!, or you're going to get into real troubles in future. If you don't know how to configure it, you can read the Gentoo wiki on systemd services. If you still have troubles, just install Sabayon 13.08.


It would have been nice if this need to switch to systemd for Gnome 3.8 had been announced in a news item that was sent during 'equo update' so that we would have been prepared and known what to do.

When you say install Sabayon 13.08, do you mean completely reinstall the system with a new downloaded ISO?
I thought that if you keep doing 'equo update' and 'equo upgrade' it was supposed to be the same as the ISO release. What is the difference?
slacker
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 18:26

Re: [Fix included] Latest updates really did a number... (gd

Postby slacker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:23

Also, I don't know if this is related to GDM not starting up or not, but I'll post it here anyways (let me know if this should be in a seperate thread).

After switching to systemd and booting up, I see this error message on the console logon screen:
Code: Select all
systemd-journald[4270]: failed to set ACL on /var/log/journal/63d287da47e2cf71e967c05d0000001b/user-109.journal, ignoring: invalid argument
slacker
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 18:26

Re: [Fix included] Latest updates really did a number... (gd

Postby bigears » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:03

After the latest update, I get the login prompt. I login with root and do eselect sysvinit set systemd but it tells me that the file system is read only. How am I suppose to run switch to systemd.
bigears
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:48

Re: [Fix included] Latest updates really did a number... (gd

Postby lxnay » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:41

bigears wrote:After the latest update, I get the login prompt. I login with root and do eselect sysvinit set systemd but it tells me that the file system is read only. How am I suppose to run switch to systemd.


I am not sure about what you did to screw your system. But anyway, you need to remount your root filesystem read/write:
Code: Select all
mount / -o remount,rw


and when done, remount it read only:
Code: Select all
mount / -o remount,ro
Image
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner
 
Posts: 3596
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 23:16
Location: Italy

Re: [Fix included] Latest updates really did a number... (gd

Postby lxnay » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:43

slacker wrote:I have now installed the 3.10 sabayon kernel, switched to it using 'eselect kernel set' and 'eselect bzimage set' and installed the correct nvidia-drivers for that kernel then switched to systemd.


"eselect kernel" is not a tool for switching between the default kernel used to boot the system. Instead, it only handles the /usr/src/linux symlink and this has absolutely nothing to do with the kernel used to boot. Since many people came out with the same thing about eselect kernel, I wonder where you did read this absolutely bogus information.
Image
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner
 
Posts: 3596
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 23:16
Location: Italy

Re: [Fix included] Latest updates really did a number... (gd

Postby lxnay » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:47

If you don't know or find it difficult to switch to systemd for whatever reason, just reinstall the latest Sabayon.
A crashing gdm may have to do with upstream bugs, not related to Sabayon in any way. Both GNOME and KDE are *known* to not care about migration paths between major releases. They keep introducing incompatibilities that may cause crashes when old configuration files are in place. There is nothing we can do about it, that's the way it is and yeah, upstream suck big time in this.
Image
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner
 
Posts: 3596
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 23:16
Location: Italy

Re: [Fix included] Latest updates really did a number... (gd

Postby slacker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 15:50

lxnay wrote:
slacker wrote:I have now installed the 3.10 sabayon kernel, switched to it using 'eselect kernel set' and 'eselect bzimage set' and installed the correct nvidia-drivers for that kernel then switched to systemd.


"eselect kernel" is not a tool for switching between the default kernel used to boot the system. Instead, it only handles the /usr/src/linux symlink and this has absolutely nothing to do with the kernel used to boot. Since many people came out with the same thing about eselect kernel, I wonder where you did read this absolutely bogus information.


I am aware that 'eselect kernel' does not change the kernel used at boot, that is why I also ran 'eselect bzimage'. I tend to run both just so that everything is consistent. I honestly don't remember where I first read about eselect kernel or bzimage.
slacker
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 18:26

Re: [Fix included] Latest updates really did a number... (gd

Postby slacker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 15:56

lxnay wrote:If you don't know or find it difficult to switch to systemd for whatever reason, just reinstall the latest Sabayon.
A crashing gdm may have to do with upstream bugs, not related to Sabayon in any way. Both GNOME and KDE are *known* to not care about migration paths between major releases. They keep introducing incompatibilities that may cause crashes when old configuration files are in place. There is nothing we can do about it, that's the way it is and yeah, upstream suck big time in this.


I completely understand. I am well aware of issues that can occur when changing major versions as I've used Gentoo for quite a few years before switching to Sabayon and have experienced them before.

When I get some time I may try to reinstall if I can't figure out how to fix the issue.
Thanks again for your help.
slacker
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 18:26

Re: [Fix included] Latest updates really did a number... (gd

Postby ph03 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 18:00

ph03 wrote:I already tried to switch to systemd, but almost all my init.d services are not supported, or maybe I wasn't able to find out how to start them. Is it possible to use these services in a kind of legacy mode using systemd?


Has somebody an answer to this? Is the gentoo guide http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd valid for sabayon, too?
ph03
Young Hen
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:43

PreviousNext

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron