Skype - no sound problem (the never ending story) [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Skype - no sound problem (the never ending story) [Solved]

Postby Richlion » Sun Jul 21, 2013 14:04

Hello,

up until a week ago I didn't have any sound problems. I know from the past Skype was usually the application that got screwed up. After recent updates I seem to have no sound on Skype. I have a laptop and a normal PC.
On the laptop when I can't get any sound in Skype I have to reboot it 2 times to finally get sound in Skype. Maybe this is also KDE (or Pulseaudio, whatever), because normally when you launch a KDE session you get the greeting sound. Sometime it's just not there.

On my PC another story - no sound in Skype. All us set to use Pulseaudio. My sound card appeares to be HDI Nvidia. A few days ago when I would try to make a test call the only sound I would get would be an oversteer loud noise and I would have to kill my PC to get my KDE session back to normal.

What is going on? Where is the problem. Am I the only one with these problems?

With any other application - Audacious, VLC I have no problems with the sound.

When I set my system to use Alsa (with alsamixer) , Skype does not know what it is, not on the dropdown list in the Sound Devices options.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Richion
Last edited by Richlion on Tue Jul 30, 2013 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
Richlion
Technological Hen

Re: Skype - no sound problem (the never ending story)

Postby weasel » Sun Jul 21, 2013 18:03

Hello,

start skype from the terminal with this: PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 skype
and it works again.
weasel
Baby Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Mon Jul 22, 2013 15:01

The first thing I always do when I have problems with pulseaudio is to have a look at pavucontrol. The usual mixer apps that come with gnome etc. usually don't tell you what's wrong or give too limited control over audio streams.
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby Richlion » Mon Jul 22, 2013 20:04

weasel wrote:Hello,

start skype from the terminal with this: PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 skype
and it works again.

Doesn't help.
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby Richlion » Mon Jul 22, 2013 20:10

life-on-mars wrote:The first thing I always do when I have problems with pulseaudio is to have a look at pavucontrol. The usual mixer apps that come with gnome etc. usually don't tell you what's wrong or give too limited control over audio streams.

Ok, this is what pavucontrol is showing:
Code: Select all
[email protected] ~ $ pavucontrol
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
(pavucontrol:8512): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_device_ungrab: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed
(pavucontrol:8512): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_device_grab_remove: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed
(pavucontrol:8512): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_device_ungrab: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed
(pavucontrol:8512): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_device_grab_remove: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

What worries me is that when I go to KDE system settings -> media, a message pops up saying one of the sound devices was removed:
Code: Select all
Capture: HDA NVidia (ALC887 Analog)
Capture: HDA NVidia, ALC887 Analog (Default Audio Device)
Output: HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0 (HDMI Audio Output)
Output: HDA NVidia (ALC887 Analog)
Output: HDA NVidia, ALC887 Analog (Default Audio Device)

But then my sound card works, I can listen to Mp3's, watch movies.
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby Richlion » Thu Jul 25, 2013 17:30

Right, to me it's a complete screw up.

I had a Soundblaster sound card which I plugged into my PC, just in case my on board card is damaged. Everything works with it. In the pulse audio control centre I set everything to use it. I check the KDE Media settings, same thing, I set it all to use my SB1040 card. I can use Audacious. I watched a .iso DVD live concert with all the sound working perfectly in VLC. Skype was running at the same time. Surprisingly Skype started talking to me. I even managed to get the sound out when clicking Skype Test Call.

I shutdown my computer and started today. Skype - dead, nothing! Only scratchy noises. TOTALLY ANNOYOING. All settings from yesterday unchanged. Why? When I make a test Skype call the KDE Mixer shows the controls for Skype, nothing is muted.
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby Joecanadian » Thu Jul 25, 2013 18:22

FWIW: I've found using the previously suggested method of starting Skype in terminal (as user) with PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 skype AND making sure that the analog sound device is selected for both output and input in sound preferences gets it working properly.

In my case, PulseAudio seems to want to default to HDMI until manually told otherwise.

Your mileage may vary.
Joecanadian
Baby Hen

Postby Richlion » Mon Jul 29, 2013 15:45

On my laptop the first time I start sounds don't work. Then I go to the audio options and untick and tick the box for "let skype control your sound". The first time it kicks in, but the noise is scratchy, interrupted. I stop and start skype and then it works.
Last edited by Richlion on Tue Jul 30, 2013 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby Richlion » Tue Jul 30, 2013 20:15

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Have you tried this? That fixed it for me.

Hi, yes, adding this option helped tsched=0

Thank you very much :D
Richlion
Technological Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion