Sabayon 13.04 x86_64 instability

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 13.04 x86_64 instability

Postby wanderson » Wed Jun 26, 2013 19:05

I have been a full time user of Sabayon Linux with "generally" good satisfaction for past eight years.

However recent releases have been less stable than most of the earlier versions, and I am experiencing many problems with latest 13.04 X86_64 KDE updated at - June 24th, 2013.
If I can solve these particular problems satisfactoryily in very short time, I would not move from Sabayon to any other distribution. Please note that hardware in question works "perfectly" with PCLinuxOS KDE AMD64, Mageia 2, NetRunner 12.12 X86-64 and other distributions. It is a Dell Dimension P4 3.0 ghz X64 CPU, with 4G DDR2 RAM, 500GB SATA2 HD, DVD+-RW Optical Drive. Exact same problems existed with HP Z worktation, with Intel i7 3.2ghz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, similar storage as Dell.
The ISO discs ( burned at least three) check out OK! Even after several (4) installs, the following issues remain.

1. After install, when I click on 'Device Notidier' in taskbar to see the USB connected external hard drives, the notifier is blank. I must check these USB connections via Dolphin.

2. When installing widgets in top or bottom panel, the first 2 or 3 times the widget icon shows a red box with X and indicates an "unknown widget". The fourth time the widget icons shows correctly and works properly.

3. For several recent Sabayon releases - from 9 till 13X, when I attempt to install the "World Clock" widget, the panels, task bar completely disappear, with no panel remaining. When I try reinstalling a new Panel, it is place at "top" of screen and I cannot find method to install new panel on bottom as in default install.

4. In last two weeks, when booting from previous day when Sabayon was working relatively problem-free, no KDE login or desktop appeared, and I was presented with Sabayon 'splash' image background and a command line login.

These continual, persistent, and reproduceable problems are not satisfactory. Please help.

I have been a regular GNU/Linux user for more than fourteen years, and actually taught Linux basics at New York City technology organization and represented Suse GmbH as reseller before the Novell purchase. While I am not a Gentoo 'expert', I am quite familiar with GNU/Linux and FreeBSD in most circumstances.

Any help is appreciated, as I do strongly prefer Sabayon.

Wendell Anderson
[email protected]

New Jersey, USA
wanderson
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 13.04 x86_64 instability

Postby joost » Wed Jun 26, 2013 23:10

Not sure if it matters, but are you using openrc or systemd?
Maybe something is not proper with the latest daily builds... (I can only guess right now)

On my running and rolling system (Using systemd and KDE I have none of these problems)
joost
Sagely Hen

Re: Sabayon 13.04 x86_64 instability

Postby Tedel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:50

joost wrote:On my running and rolling system (Using systemd and KDE I have none of these problems)

Is it safe t switch to SystemD already?
Tedel
Simple Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion