Sabayon Questions

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sabayon Questions

Postby dunsurfin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 19:25

You just need to remember that mixing binary (entropy) and compiling (portage) can cause problems:

https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... nd_Portage

Anyway - Welcome to Sabayon and I hope you decide to give it a go. I've been using Sabayon Linux since 2007 and love it.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby cylent » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:17

dunsurfin wrote:You just need to remember that mixing binary (entropy) and compiling (portage) can cause problems:

please explain this statement a bit more. i keep hearing about how this will happen but i have never ran into problems.
cylent
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Dec 31, 2013 18:04

cylent wrote:please explain this statement a bit more. i keep hearing about how this will happen but i have never ran into problems.

Think about it this way: Application A can be compiled in 3 different ways. It depends on Dependency A which can also be compiled in 3 different ways. When entropy compiles Application A in a certain manner, it also compiles Dependency A in a certain manner.

If you change how Application A is compiled, it might not like how Dependency A is compiled (although that's fairly unlikely). If you change how Dependency A is compiled, Application A has a good chance of crashing.

One option is just to compile both of them again, right? Well, I didn't mention that Application B,C,I, and Z also use Dependency A. As you can see, it's already getting kind of complicated pretty quickly.

Portage is great for figuring how to get applications and their dependencies to compile and work with each other. But by compiling things the way you want to, you break expected compatibility with binary packages that are compiled with USE flags. If you are only compiling applications at the top most level (they are not dependencies for other applications), then mixing portage and entropy is safe. Worst case scenario, the application you compile won't work, but your system should be fine. But if you compile some low level libraries in a way that doesn't work for the entropy provided binary applications that use them...your system will be quite unhappy.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby cylent » Tue Dec 31, 2013 18:41

interesting outlook although i sense your reply is more of a theory than a real world fact.

compiling a program is that.. compiling it so it runs. what does it matter if i compiled my x86 32bit application with a specific power saving feature for an intel core i5. the i3 will still run it.
cylent
Baby Hen

Postby Cb7 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 21:17

cylent wrote:interesting outlook although i sense your reply is more of a theory than a real world fact.

compiling a program is that.. compiling it so it runs. what does it matter if i compiled my x86 32bit application with a specific power saving feature for an intel core i5. the i3 will still run it.

lol :lol:

Come back when you'll finish educating yourself. And no, place for it isn't here, internet has plenty of material to learn from. You can start form Gentoo Handbook, or if you feeling adventurous, just go straightly to LFS.
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Dec 31, 2013 21:31

It's not a theory, I'm just not giving specific examples (mainly because I hardly ever use portage anymore). Compiling a program is not just compiling it so it runs. As a software engineer, I can promise you that getting programs to compile is only half the battle.

Linux is a very different environment than other OSes because of how many shared libraries it has. Library developers also like to make improvements and move forwards. Many times they do so by breaking their APIs. If you want to install a package that requires a newer library, you might very well break every application on your system that is using the current version of the library (unless it happens to be slotted). Portage will prevent you from doing this to yourself on an all portage system, and perhaps even stop you on an entropy system. Or it will let you update everything and entropy will reinstall it's packages and things will be broken.

You can go further and further down the rabbit hole of things that might possibly go wrong. There's lots of them. It gets complicated. This is why it isn't supported. Not because it can't be done, but because supporting users that might do something wrong is next to impossible with the help available.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion