network problems + kde flawed [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: network problems + kde flawed

Postby sedo_5 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 19:06

yes, both plugdev and polkituser

renzo
sedo_5
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 0:13

I'm running out of ideas, sedo_5. Have you used the command equo conf update to ensure that all configuration files have been updated?

I know you indicated in a previous post that you are using OpenRC, but at some point did you try using systemd with that installation (I just wonder if it changed something)? Actually, even if you did not try systemd, it might be worth trying to switch to systemd now just to see if it has an effect. According to the press release for SL 13.04:

lxnay wrote:If you want to migrate your current Sabayon 13.04+ installation to systemd, just type: eselect sysvinit set systemd and eselect settingsd set systemd and reboot. If the system won't boot, just add this to the boot parameters: real_init=/sbin/init.d/sysvinit/init.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby sedo_5 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 0:42

yes, I'll try with systemd, but just to see what happens.
Again, I didn't do anything strange I could remember of...I simply upgraded my system with week repos, that's it (and of course I checked with conf update, I always check this as well as deptest and diptest, a good habit from past failures...).
The only think I could think about now is that one of the upgraded packages was glibc, which was the only "critical" thing.
Anyway, I'll just reinstall sabayon, as the system seems now to be quite unstable in general...

thank you anyway,
Renzo
sedo_5
Growing Hen

Postby sedo_5 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 16:27

UPDATE: I reinstalled everything from scratches (sabayon kde 13.04) and guess what happened?
The system just newly installed is fine, but since I have to install my fav programs, the system forces me to install glibc2.17 and, after this, upgrades automatically all the packages in the repo (even if this is not what I planned).
The result is again an unusable system as before: hence the problem lies either in glibc or in the new updates it grabs.

I really hope someone could give me a solution for this, as for now I can't use sabayon (since I can't even install any program I need without ruining my whole system being forced to upgrade it! ...and yes, of course I tried the --relaxed option in equo !)

any suggestion?

Renzo
sedo_5
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 17:13

Man, that's a bummer. Have you had a look in /var/log/messages to see what other error messages you're getting?

Code: Select all
cat /var/log/messages | grep -i --text error

Another thing... have you tried disabling IPv6 system-wide? I doubt that is going to help, but anything is worth a shot at this stage. Edit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf and uncomment the line "alias net-pf-10 off" (remove the hash symbol at the beginning of the line). Then reboot.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby sedo_5 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 18:21

Yep...it's a total bummer!
I may sound ignorant (I am!) but I can't understand why everytime glibc has to grab all those new packages!!

Anyway, I think I "solved" (let's say so) for now with the frozen repos!
This repo should be included as official: it could be perfect for these strange situations from time to time, like happened to me, and also for new users!
I think I'll stick with it for some weeks, than I'll try again.
Any comment on this?
(I'll add [solved] after I tried this for a little bit and shows no major problems)
sedo_5
Growing Hen

Previous

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion