has the "nox" bootparam been depreciated? [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

has the "nox" bootparam been depreciated? [Solved]

Postby joe3 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:54

I have finally succeeded in completing a difficult re-installation of Sabayon on my desktop PC.
I have reason to believe that my built-in Nvidia won't play well with nouveau. So I would be booting with the nox option until I've installed the nvidia driver. But it still goes directly to the black screen of doom {due a ridiculously high screen res causing my sony monitor to complain:
Image}

Fortunately I know how to get to a tty from x... So I used equo to install an nvidia driver, upgrade the sys, and, since I really dislike display managers {being a console boot, then usually startx, kind of guy} to remove xdm...

Yet even though I'm still using the nox bootparam, the active tty switches from tty1 to the one {tty7?} where x {OR any active DM} would have put it's screen display. And when I used
Code: Select all
<alt>+<F1>
to return to tty1, I find the boot messages telling me something about " Light Display Manager " having been successfully started...

What "Light Display Manager"? :?: If one was running I wouldn't have been able to use startx to fire up an xfce session from the root command line... :roll:
Last edited by joe3 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:06, edited 1 time in total.
joe3
Advanced Hen

Re: has the "nox" bootparam been depreciated?

Postby lxnay » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:03

How about gentoo=nox ?
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby joe3 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 18:30

lxnay wrote:How about gentoo=nox ?

Not sure...

In the mean time it turns out that lightdm was still installed. But had simply had a fluke like failure to properly initialize so that it didn't prevent a startx initialized Xorg from opining an X server... When I booted up in the morning lightdm did initialize. I switched to a tty, logged in as root, and used "ps -A" to learn how to spell it correctly so that I could use equo to remove it...

Now I'm getting clean console boots... Though, just before getting Login prompts, the text on tty1 reports that:
tty1 wrote:[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface.
Which is somewhat puzzling... :?

Maybe I'll try that "gentoo=nox" on my next boot to see if it stops thinking it started a gui... But I've been routinely using the "nox" bootparam and then startx, on Sabayon since at least SL4.2 and never until now has it been ignored.
{unless you count the time I fat fingered the caplock and tried to use "NOX" instead of "nox" :wink: }

But as long as startx works so that I don't need to have a DM installed, then I don't really care. It just used to be such a nice change from my assorted Debian systems that I didn't have to do anything :twisted: to the DM to get a clean console boot simply by adding the nox bootparam to my menu.lst...
joe3
Advanced Hen

Postby lxnay » Wed Jun 12, 2013 21:11

You may want to change the default target from graphical.target to multi-user.target
See the systemd documentation for more info.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby joe3 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 22:19

lxnay wrote:You may want to change the default target from graphical.target to multi-user.target

YES I would love to do that. But I've just spent a xouple hours attempting to understand the man documents Then searched the wiki for systemd :
And also tried searching for a howto with startpage... What I found was as clear as mud
The net result is that I think I know less about how to use system d than when I started...

Would you have mercy and tell me where one sets such a target? And maybe a few pointers on how?
joe3
Advanced Hen

Postby joe3 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:05

lxnay wrote:How about gentoo=nox ?

I did try that by the way, and it made no difference. On those occasions when tty1 didn't clear the screen of any remaining boot-up messages I still saw that reached graphical target message...

but more often then not the screen gets cleared and there isn't anything to see with:
<shift>+<page-up>
Any idea how to prevent that?

lxnay wrote:You may want to change the default target from graphical.target to multi-user.target

As I said in my other post I found what docs I could find to be hard to understand. and how-to documents with the priceless things called examples {about the only instruction method that works with that fossil I call my brain} I found not a one...

But when I asked for help on LinuxQuestions, I got both a long rant on the evils of systemd, and a kindhearted poster who told me exactly how to do it on his opensuse box... All I had to do was figure out that what opensuse put in /lib/system.d, sabayon puts in /usr/lib/system.d and his symlink example became easy to do...

Though I note that there wasn't any /etc/systemd/system/default.target symlink untill I created one with:
ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target /etc/systemd/system/default.target

There was however a broken symlink named "display-manager.service" that pointed at the Display manager I'd already removed with
equo remove --ask lightdm

So using a clue I got from that anti-systemd rant I got on linux questions, I replaced it with:
ln -sf /dev/null /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service
Between the two, I don't expect the graphical.target will be getting in my way anymore...

NOW if I could just figure out what's messing with having GPM start as a service... But that is a different thread.
joe3
Advanced Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion