Dual boot with Windows 8

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dual boot with Windows 8

Postby Beerforfree » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:38

did you find out how to enable secure boot on 13.08?
Beerforfree
Young Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:56

I have performed a fresh installation.
It did it automatically, I guess.
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:50

Did you really boot Sabayon Live from USB memory stick (or DVD) with both, UEFI and 'Secure Boot' enabled?
I could not do boot. I had to disable 'Secure Boot' or UEFI. Then my memory stick was accepted to boot.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:53

I guess you did not perform a UEFI install then.
I can't say why. I have used a USB key made from the dvd iso with Rufus. Unetbootin did not make a correct UEFI USB boot stick.
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 18:55

You are right. I've installed my Sabayon without UEFI (and without Secure Boot also) on a brand new ssd disk.
But to test out for a friend, who has a new Windows 8 notebook (with enabled UEFI and Secure boot), I have activated same settings enabled in my BIOS and put in my original, virgin Windows 8 harddisk, which I haven't installed ever.
I will keep for sell later.
Anyway, with enabled UEFI (at least with enabled Secure boot) my USB memory stick is not accepted due to policy restrictions.
And: I have created my USB memory stick from Sabayon iso with the 'dd' command, which is recommended here in forum.

TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:06

In my case Rufus only made a correct UEFI install stick.
Please try that, it might make the difference. I can't help you more as I am new to this too.
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:08

'Rufus' is not part of Sabayon repo. Therefore, I do not think that this tool (maybe Windows?) is the key tool to install a Sabayon system onto an UEFI computer. As I said, in this forum, (I think it was Fitzcarraldo) 'dd' command is recommended to create a USB memory stick. Simple, plain, easy to use.
If there is any moderator reading this, maybe you Fitz, can you confirm, pls, which one tool is the best to install Sabayon Live OS onto a memory stick in order to install on an UEFI computer with Dual Boot?
Thank you in advance.
Anyway, thank you, Msdobrescu, for telling me about your experience.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:34

BTW, look at this too: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=29935#p163467
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Previous

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion