/tmp too small - set at 100MB [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

/tmp too small - set at 100MB [Solved]

Postby dunsurfin » Thu May 30, 2013 19:54

I have no idea if this the right place for this so feel free to move it.
I was downloading a video from youtube using download helper in Firefox when a message came up saying there was an error as the /tmp directory was full.
This was a new installation of SL KDE AMD 64 daily iso (26-5-13) using ext4 and fully updated with / on a 50GB partition. I looked at the partition and only 14GB had been used.
The error message gave a figure of 100MB so I checked /etc/fstab and found that /tmp was set at 100MB. (It's the same on another PC that I installed the same system on). This seems a very low figure for a set size so I increased it to 10000MB. The problem has gone away.

What I don't understand is why the size of the file is set so low in the first place.
Last edited by dunsurfin on Fri May 31, 2013 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Re: /tmp too small - set at 100MB

Postby lxnay » Thu May 30, 2013 21:10

Because it's your RAM and writing to /tmp is a very very bad idea. All the programs doing that should be wiped from the planet.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby dunsurfin » Thu May 30, 2013 21:21

lxnay wrote:Because it's your RAM and writing to /tmp is a very very bad idea. All the programs doing that should be wiped from the planet.

That would leave us with very little: No KDE, No X and no pulse (they are what I recognize).
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby lxnay » Thu May 30, 2013 21:27

Writing *big* files to /tmp.
Please read the Sabayon 13.04 press release.
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby lxnay » Thu May 30, 2013 21:28

And pulseaudio uses tmpfiles.d nowadays if I remember correctly.
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby dunsurfin » Fri May 31, 2013 10:51

I've just done some checking and both my reloaded systems are using systemd. In each case tmpfiles.d only contains a 0 byte file and /tmp/ contains several folders and files:

folders:
.font-unix
.ICE-unix
.Test-unix
.X11-unix
.XIM-unix
akonadi-robin.841GLi
kde-kdm
kde-robin
kde-root
ksocket-kdm
ksocket-robin
ksocket-root
pulse-PKdhtXMmr18n

files:
.X0-lock
tmpQO8NGf
virt_1113
virtuoso_kn4374.ini
xauth.XXXXW7osIR

Looks like the system hasn't read your release notes. :)

Quick edit; I tried deleting all the folders and files in/tmp and they disappear and the system doesn't turn up it's toes but they just reappear as soon as I do anything else.

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby lxnay » Fri May 31, 2013 11:32

Read how tmpfiles.d works.
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby dunsurfin » Fri May 31, 2013 20:53

I've been reading these pages; http://www.freedesktop.org/software/sys ... les.d.html and also found this page; http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... leSystems/ which shows I did the right thing in increasing the size of my /tmp using fstab.
This is really all way over my head but there are glimmerings of understanding and, as long as some programmes such as the video downloadhelper for firefox use /tmp it is necessary to increase the size (there appears no way that I know of to change where downloadhelper stores it's temporary files).
I shall mark this as solved as I now know the reason for the size of /tmp. I expect it may be asked several times as more people use systemd before other programmes use it too.
Thank you for your input.

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion