A couple of issues with lightDM display manager

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

A couple of issues with lightDM display manager

Postby cmost » Sun May 19, 2013 15:55

I recently switched from KDM to lightdm as my display manager because I want to play around with designing some cool Sabayon themes for it. I've noticed there are a couple of issues that I wonder if anyone else has had or could offer some insight on how to fix.

First, lightdm takes noticibly longer to appear than KDM did on my machine. There's a black screen for like 30+ seconds before the greeter appears. Can anyone comment on why that might be or how I might speed things up?

Also, one really annoying thing is the appearance of two system accounts on the login screen that for the life of me I cannot figure out how to hide. At first I added all system accounts to hidden-users=... in /etc/lightdm/users.conf. But after doing that and finding that it didn't solve the problem, I realised that Sabayon is using AccountsService. Lightdm ignores any user specified parameters in users.conf if AccountsService is installed. I've searched high and low but cannot find a satisfactory solution for fixing this. Can anyone tell me how to remove the two system accounts (ldap and sabayon-mce) from the login screen?

Finally, I would really like to use the Mate Display Manager (MDM) that Mint, LMDE and several other distributions use as their default. It's much more powerful, configurable and themeable than KDM, GDM, or LightDM but alas it's not in the repos. I requested the package be added on bugzilla but no word yet. Can any developers comment on whether or not MDM might make it into Sabayon?
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
Advanced Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion