Systemd Works Great!

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Systemd Works Great!

Postby albfneto » Tue Apr 30, 2013 22:12

I upgraded my Sabayon installations to 13 version.
I'm also testing Systemd, and it works great!

I have two computers, an AMD ATlhon X2 , 8 G RAM e an Phenon, AMD, 8 cores, 16 G RAM. With systemd, the boot times were respectively: 12 seconds and 7 seconds.

Great, Congratulations!
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
albfneto@fcfrp.usp.br
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Re: Systemd Works Great!

Postby nachoig » Wed May 01, 2013 0:06

Just a tip...

You can use this command to view the boot time:
Code: Select all
systemd-analyze

It may be better if you can boot without shell scripts, using only the systemd's unit files.
nachoig
Simple Hen

Postby sabayes » Wed May 01, 2013 15:49

Hello !

Can you tell us more about boot improvement ?
What was your previous boot time, for example ?

Thanks... 8)
sabayes
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed May 01, 2013 22:07

It's hardly Earth-shattering. With OpenRC the laptop I'm typing this on (Acer Aspire 5536 -- see link in my signature for full spec. -- fully-upgraded SL 64-bit Xfce) takes 33 seconds to boot from the GRUB 2 menu to the log-in screen, and 29 seconds with systemd. Big deal.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu May 02, 2013 6:59

yea, I have never understood the obsession of boot speeds. Now a days computers boot up so fast regardless of operating system.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby lxnay » Thu May 02, 2013 9:31

Fitzcarraldo,
systemd leverages CPUs with multiple cores (more than 2!) and faster SSD much better than OpenRC.
I see that you're using a rotational HD and have "only" 2 cores, which is the bottleneck from a systemd perspective.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby TDKyon » Thu May 02, 2013 13:14

That's the MAIN reason why I started to use Sabayon 3 or 4 days ago - the speed difference not only while booting the OS but and manipulating files, the dramastic speed while moving files from different file system to another. For first time I am feeling that I use the full potential of my hardware ;]
TDKyon
Young Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Thu May 02, 2013 14:33

I recall a few years ago, when seagate released their momentus xt hybrid drive (8Gig flash on back of 7200rpm laptop drive; before SSD's were consumer oriented), my dual core core2 duo laptop booted in 1/3 the time of my desktop with far more horsepower :) Still an excellent deal for large space with notable speed increase on a laptop.

Evened up the score with a samsung 830 (still one of the best deals if still for sale) SSD installed on the desktop, 64gigs holds the OS and all binaries quite nicely. As with any SSD, leave 5-10% of the drive unpartitioned, it should extend lifespan of the drive.

I'll convert my desktop this weekend to systemd, but with the SSD holding the entire OS, the running speed increase was to place /home on faster drives with larger (64M) ram cache on the drives (raid mirror). Thunderbird is my current slow point, being single threaded, and with >500 folders and 15 years of imap email....well, fast isn't in the description (and none of the other imap clients can even handle >30gigs of email!).

As they say, all good things (like openrc) must come to an end at some point :( Systemd reminds me of 2 decades ago when sunos (4.1) changed to sys-V solaris 2.0. Eventually, it caught up :)

As always, a big thankyou to the devs for hours of work in keeping sabayon top notch.

Cheers,
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Postby cmost » Fri May 03, 2013 23:43

I can concur that my bootup speed has significantly improved after switching to systemd. Even on my six core monster with 8 GB of RAM the system used to take about 40 seconds to boot. Now it's exactly 21.186s. On another topic, 13.04 is perhaps the greatest version of Sabayon yet! Conveniently, I've been rolling right along which is one of the great, great features of this OS. Fantastic job as always developers; your hard work is much appreciated!!! :D

*** EDIT ***

Okay, after a couple of days with some weirdness, I decided to revert back to sysvinit. For starters, my KDE clock is always off every time I log-in, even with npt setup and configured correctly. Another problem is both mysql and samba no longer running after login. Commands to restart these services yield an error about such and such service is already restarting...which lasts forever and they never start. Reverting to sysvinit fixes all these problems. I can wait until systemd stabilizes more.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion