[SOLVED] Partition Help

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

[SOLVED] Partition Help

Postby Jim_S » Wed Dec 27, 2006 16:58

Running 3.2 x64 as live CD (right now). Everything boots up fine without any intervention except for the password. I'm running an Acer Travelmate 4400 1G ram 100G HD partitioned into a small recovery partition (I think -- 3G) , 46 G each into C: and D: It would be nice to push a magic button and have the livecd setup stay installed exactly as is.

I am trying the install on disk icon. I tried both automatic - "keep all partitions and use ... free space." and manual partitioning.
Error message: Could not allocate requested partitions. Partitioning failed: Could not allocate partitions as primary partitions. There is a second message that tells me I haven't defined a root partition.
type size
/dev/hda
/dev/hda1 vfat 3004
/dev/hda2 vfat 45999
/dev/hda3 extended 46391
/dev/hda5 vfat 46391

Should I go into gparted and do something, or is there a fix within the desktop installer. I have done a little partitioning in the past. It always feels like getting a root canal. Jim S.

Thanks for the help. The install went forward with no obvious problems, but see my next post..
Jim S.
Last edited by Jim_S on Thu Dec 28, 2006 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Jim_S
Baby Hen

Postby maddogmaddog » Wed Dec 27, 2006 18:39

jim,
i use gparted to partition
i think that you should first shrink your hda5 partition to allow a small swap partition (about the size of system memory)
then use that space to make the swap partion (format as swap)
also format the hda5 as reiserfs (Not reiser4)

this is assuming that you are going to use one (hda5) of the partitions for SL3.2

next (i reboot --bad windows habit) update the installer...
run install to disk...
use manually partition disk
pick the swap partition ... format it as swap
pick hda5 format it as reiserfs ..also choose the mount point as "/"
click next... it should show you what you are about to do! if all is well gO for iT!

;)
maddogmaddog
Young Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion