What is the fstab "comment"-option?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

paddlaren
Baby Hen

What is the fstab "comment"-option?

Post by paddlaren » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:16

Hi,

In the Sabayon man-page for fstab there is an option mentioned "comment" that I have been unable to understand.

Code: Select all

#man fstab
comment
   or x-<name> for use by fstab-maintaining programs
How is this option used? The comment option is not mentioned on other distro-pages like Debian and Arch.

My ambition is to move from autofs to user mounts in fstab on a laptop, wife does not agree to wait several minutes for autofs to timeout when not at home but is comfortable mounting manually in Dolphin. Dolphin will display the server path for each mount and I'd like to use names more suitable for a user and currently put my faith into the comment option.

Thanks in advance,
Erik

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: What is the fstab "comment"-option?

Post by Stupot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 20:50

I'm not really sure either, but I think it's more of a way for fstab to tell other programs how to handle things. For instance I found this regarding systemd (which Sabayon doesn't use)
Mount units may either be configured via unit files, or via /etc/fstab (see fstab(5) for details).

When reading /etc/fstab a few special mount options are understood by systemd which influence how dependencies are created for mount points from /etc/fstab. If comment=systemd.mount is specified as mount option, then systemd will create a dependency of type Wants from either local-fs.target or remote-fs.target, depending whether the file system is local or remote. If comment=systemd.automount is set, an automount unit will be created for the file system. See systemd.automount(5) for details.

If a mount point is configured in both /etc/fstab and a unit file, the configuration in the latter takes precedence.