Single Folders for Program

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Single Folders for Program

Postby Keks » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:50

Is there a way to save programs in single folder on a single partition like win**** because my normal partition for Sabayon is almost full and I'd like to swap alot of programs to a program partition cause emerge installs them always on the system partiton.

Best Regards
Keks
Simple Hen

Postby amp_man » Tue Dec 26, 2006 20:02

Possible? Yes. Easy? Not really. A good idea? No. It's fairly easy to do when installing programs by hand, but with portage, you'd probably end up having to edit individual ebuilds to make it work. A better idea would be moving your /home (or pretty much any fairly full folder, with the exceptions of /boot, /dev, /proc, and /sys) to another partition. You will probably want to do the actual swap while running a livecd, just create a linux-compatible filesystem (I love reiserfs), copy everything from the folder you're copying to the new partition, then remove the old folder, and edit your /etc/fstab to mount the new partition as that folder (this will probably be the hardest part...just use google ;-) )
amp_man
Young Hen

hmmm.

Postby Darksurf » Wed Dec 27, 2006 19:46

raid??? U could always use raid. right?? Or buy a newer and bigger HD and stop messin' with the older ones. But, I also understand we aren't all made of money, are we?? :)
But if U have the money it saves the hassle a lot of the time.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby johnnyhay » Wed Dec 27, 2006 23:11

Amp_man is an easy solution but the there's going to be a "after new years" shopping special at almost every electronic store there is after new years. SO save up and wake up on time. Or you could get your hard drive from newegg.com on that day.
johnnyhay
Technological Hen

Postby Keks » Thu Dec 28, 2006 15:17

umm thanks for the hints. It is a bit difficult with linux and its programs have anybody tried Klik! ?
Keks
Simple Hen

Postby Keks » Thu Dec 28, 2006 15:20

amp_man wrote:Possible? Yes. Easy? Not really. A good idea? No. It's fairly easy to do when installing programs by hand, but with portage, you'd probably end up having to edit individual ebuilds to make it work. A better idea would be moving your /home (or pretty much any fairly full folder, with the exceptions of /boot, /dev, /proc, and /sys) to another partition. You will probably want to do the actual swap while running a livecd, just create a linux-compatible filesystem (I love reiserfs), copy everything from the folder you're copying to the new partition, then remove the old folder, and edit your /etc/fstab to mount the new partition as that folder (this will probably be the hardest part...just use google ;-) )

I like this idea but I have 3 ntfs and 1 Linux Partition which means I'd like to swap stuff, programs etc. to the ntfs partition is it possible to swap the whole /bin folder and mount it so that emerge installs everything automagically to my ntfs part?
Keks
Simple Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion