Kernel Stuff

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Kernel Stuff

Postby chasha420 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40

Hi guys, this is nothing serious...I was just curious about when newer kernel for sabayon will come out. Currently the lastest version being offered @sabayon is 3.7...but in the news I've heard that even version 3.9 has been released or something similar.

I know the newer versions don't really provide much of an advantage over the older ones but I dunno why I still feel warm and fuzzy knowing that I'm using the latest one :mrgreen:
chasha420
Technological Hen

Re: Kernel Stuff

Postby sabayonino » Sun Mar 03, 2013 13:10

at the time :
sabayon-limbo repository provides 3.8 kernel version
sabayonlinux.org provides 3.7.4 kernel version
sabayon-weekly provides 3.7.4 kernel

match :linux-sabayon
https://packages.sabayon.org/quicksearc ... on&x=0&y=0
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby chasha420 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 14:40

sabayonino wrote:at the time :
sabayon-limbo repository provides 3.8 kernel version
sabayonlinux.org provides 3.7.4 kernel version
sabayon-weekly provides 3.7.4 kernel

match :linux-sabayon
https://packages.sabayon.org/quicksearc ... on&x=0&y=0

Thanks bro, but I think limbo is testing repo right? Lol...I remember what happened last time I was on that repo...my icons got all messed up & I ended up doing a fresh install hahaha :mrgreen:

That taught me not to trust testing anymore...I guess I can wait till it shows up in the main repo :bom:

EDIT:
Oh one more thing, I just noticed in the link u provided that the downloads for all the kernels are: 192332.

Isn't that a bug, I mean how can all those kernels be downloaded the same number of times :pirat:
chasha420
Technological Hen

Postby cmost » Sun Mar 03, 2013 21:04

@ sabayonino

Did you guys realize that the kernel 3.8 offered in Limbo only offers to install the kernel itself and none of the dependent (e.g., virtualbox, video drivers, wifi firmware, etc.) that the other kernels currently offer to install as dependencies? This could leave some users with a system that boots without video, internet, etc.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Postby sabayonino » Sun Mar 03, 2013 21:33

cmost wrote:@ sabayonino

Did you guys realize that the kernel 3.8 offered in Limbo only offers to install the kernel itself and none of the dependent (e.g., virtualbox, video drivers, wifi firmware, etc.) that the other kernels currently offer to install as dependencies? This could leave some users with a system that boots without video, internet, etc.

Currently the lastest version being offered @sabayon is 3.7...but in the news I've heard that even version 3.9
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby svantoviit » Sun Mar 03, 2013 22:08

chasha420 wrote:I've heard that even version 3.9 has been released or something similar.

You can check the status of packages in Sabayon here: packages.sabayon.org.

According to the official Linux kernel website, the latest stable kernel is 3.8.1 (released 2013-02-28) and 3.9 is far from ready.

cmost wrote:Did you guys realize that the kernel 3.8 offered in Limbo…

Some people just always forget, that Limbo is the testing repository and that things can break. Actually they will for sure.
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby Matte88 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 0:22

cmost wrote:@ sabayonino

Why are you saying that? :shock: Using Limbo and found, for example
Code: Select all
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18#3.8.0-sabayon branch: 5, [sabayon-limbo]
Btw, there's kernel-switcher tool
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Postby cmost » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:58

@ Matte88

I'm saying that because when I install a new kernel, I expect that all dependent modulels and proprietary blobs that are associated with that kernel will also be installed. Yes, I know the various blobs and dependencies may in fact be available for the 3.8 kernel, I just don't know for sure and I certainly don't want to be tasked with having to manually track them all down myself and install them before I do the dreaded reboot.
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Postby svantoviit » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:35

cmost, you have enabled Limbo, so you are supposed to know, what are you doing.

cmost wrote:I just don't know for sure and I certainly don't want to be tasked with having to manually track them all down myself and install them before I do the dreaded reboot

Switch to weekly then.
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby cmost » Mon Mar 04, 2013 19:39

@ svantoviit

I never said I COULD'NT do it; rather I pointed out that doing so is an inconvenience because the behavior is different than with other more stable kernels.
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
cmost
Advanced Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion