openoffice-bin 2.1 appearence

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

openoffice-bin 2.1 appearence

Postby dave_p_b » Fri Dec 22, 2006 18:23

Hello

Does anyone know how to change the appearance of openoffice-bin 2.1.
It looks like something from Windows 95 :(

I had to install the bin version as openoffice crashes constantly with AMD64

Thanks in advance

Dave
dave_p_b
Old Dear Hen

Re: openoffice-bin 2.1 appearence

Postby ed » Fri Dec 22, 2006 18:51

dave_p_b wrote:Does anyone know how to change the appearance of openoffice-bin 2.1.
It looks like something from Windows 95 :(

A possible reason for that is incorrect DE recognition. You can force it:
Code: Select all
export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde

If this doesn't help, can you post a screenshot of what you have?

dave_p_b wrote:I had to install the bin version as openoffice crashes constantly with AMD64

OOo is not yet stable on AMD 64, that is why there is no official version released and why it is marked as ~amd64.[/code]
ed
Simple Hen

Postby dave_p_b » Fri Dec 22, 2006 23:11

Thanks ed

I will give that a go. I would use the non binary version 2.0.4 but on 64-bit it constantly crashes each time it tries to start Java. Do you think that version 2.1.0 will be any more stable on 64-bit platforms ??

Dave
dave_p_b
Old Dear Hen

Postby ed » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:27

dave_p_b wrote:Do you think that version 2.1.0 will be any more stable on 64-bit platforms ??

No significant difference I would think. OOo has been a very difficult thing to move to AMD64. Older versions would just not compile and it was only around 2.0.3 that OOo was successfully compiled to AMD64. Even then it's unstable. OOo is around 10 million lines of code (less now than the old Star Office was) so it's no minor feat making it 64-bit clean.

Pavel Janik has been making 64-bit builds available on ftp.linux.cz for a few months but all only as testing builds. You shouldn't try using them or any self compiled 64-bit binary for any serious work. Only when OOo is officially available as a 64-bit build should anyone be compiling it as AMD64 themselves. This may happen in 2.2 which I would expect in 6 months.

The OOo forums frequently have distro related problems reported on them and one that I've seen several times is not compiling to 64-bit from Portage as they've assumed that every package labeled ~ should still be OK. Some people seem to get very upset about having to have a 32-bit package on their system.

Try searching the OOo IssueTracker for related issues:
http://qa.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectIssues
ed
Simple Hen

Postby dave_p_b » Sat Dec 23, 2006 13:25

ed

I don't mind whether OOO is 32 or 64 bit just as long as it works. The env variable I entered didn't work. Here is the screen shot.

As you can see with the menus, it looks like Windows :cry:

Thanks

Dave
dave_p_b
Old Dear Hen

Postby dave_p_b » Sat Dec 23, 2006 14:42

Hi ed

Just found a solution. if i set the env variable export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=GNOME then it works fine. See image below:

This variable also fixes all the problems I was having with openoffice's dialog boxes and beryl

Thanks for all your help

Dave
dave_p_b
Old Dear Hen

Postby ed » Sat Dec 23, 2006 23:54

Ah, in that case it wasn't incorrect desktop detection but bad KDE integration, something different. I've seen it occasionally with testing builds but never in an official version constantly. I'd be interested if anyone else has this issue.
ed
Simple Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion