Print to File placed in wrong directory [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Print to File placed in wrong directory [Solved]

Postby deadDrift » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:13

I've just started having a problem when I go to print and select the 'Print to file' option. I change the save location to some lower sub-directory under my home and enter a file name. The file ends up in my /home/username directory instead. I've found this to happen when using Firefox and Geany. These are the only programs I've tried but it happens every time I print to file. Is any one else having this problem too?

I'm on an up to date Sabayon X system using KDE. It just started after this week's updates.
DeadDrift
Last edited by deadDrift on Thu Jan 24, 2013 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Be in perfect sync with the raging river and one will catch its prey
deadDrift
Young Hen

Re: Print to File placed in wrong directory

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Wed Jan 23, 2013 20:11

Sorry, I didn't get the point.
  • Which program did you use?
  • What file did you save?
  • Where should it be save?
  • Do you want to change the behaviour?
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby deadDrift » Wed Jan 23, 2013 21:18

Ryuno-Ki -

Lets say I'm in Firefox with a web page displayed. Instead of printing the page, I want to save the page as a PDF file for reference later because I know the page will be taken down. So I use Print in Firefox and select as my 'printer' the 'Print to File' option. I then have the option to enter a 'Name' and 'Save in folder' for the PDF I am creating. In Save in folder, I pick Other and navigate to the sub directory: /home/deaddrift/Documents/class/notes and click on Open. I then enter a more descriptive file name: save-me-for-later.pdf I then click on the Print button. It saves the pdf file.

The file is saved in: /home/deaddrift and not where I instructed it to be saved: /home/deaddrift/Documents/class/notes . For some reason the file is not being sayed in the correct directory. It has worked in the past. It's really a very simple task that is not working now.

Hope this helps to illustrate the issue.
deadDrift
deadDrift
Young Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 22:33

I have just tried this and printed the forum page as a pdf to my desktop and it did save it to my desktop. So using firefox here on an x86 SL KDE X fully updated I can't replicate it.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby deadDrift » Wed Jan 23, 2013 23:28

dunsurfin -

I can save to my Desktop too, just checked it. But the 'Other' option does not put the file in the correct directory.

deadDrift
deadDrift
Young Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:18

deadDrift

I created a folder home/saved_pdf/school_work/homework tried to print a pdf there from Firefox and it went straight to home. So I can replicate it.
When I was doing it again I noticed an error I had made. I had double instead of single clicked clicked on "homework" when going through the tree to define the location and there was a blank in "location" so Firefox had to use the default "home". Making sure I used a single click corrected the problem.

Could that be the problem?
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby deadDrift » Thu Jan 24, 2013 16:41

dunsurfin -

That was a good catch. I tried it with a single click on the desired directory name and it saves to that directory. Great!

I've been doing this constantly since October so I do know that it used to work when I would double click. I remember seeing the directory contents greyed-out because then I knew I had selected the correct directory by it's contents. Thanks for being creative and thinking about the the process. I was just too locked into how I had been doing it. Now I don't know if I should call this a new feature or a bug.

Thanks,
deadDrift
deadDrift
Young Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 17:40

deadDrift;

It's great when it works like that. :) I would think that it's actually the correction of a bug. Like you, I'd always double clicked but I think that should only be necessary to go to another layer and a single click to select the layer.

It will help others if you could please edit your OP and add [Solved] to the title. :) Thank you.

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion