Best way to clean up world?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Best way to clean up world?

Postby amp_man » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:17

I'm wondering what the best way to clean up the "world" is. My PC is a desktop without wireless capabilities, a dial-up modem, and my dsl modem handles the ppp connection itself. I have no need for voip, nvidia/ati drivers (3dfx rox!), speech recognition (etc), tablet drivers, or non-US keyboard configurations. I do, however, need to free up some space on my little 20gb hard drive. I just finished unmerging a bunch of packages...only to find out that somehow, in the process, I somehow broke dns and xdm with no easy fix, and so now I'm in the process of reinstalling.

So, the question is, is it safe to simply remove entries from the /var/lib/portage/world, then do an emerge --depclean? Or am I better off just trying again with emerge --unmerge? BTW, I haven't tried Kuroo yet, I'm too much of a command line user when it comes to portage (a side-effect of a gentoo-based headless fileserver).
amp_man
Young Hen

Postby Jesterhead » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:11

I kuroo, and delete everything from world which i dont need.
Then run a emerge --ask --depclean (dont forget the ask!)
look about the packages emerge wants to remove.
Then look in make.conf about your useflags (drop those you dont need).
revdep-rebuild
then upgrading world again (with --deep).
It could lead to some problems during depclean and revdep-rebuild, because not every package has really every needed dependancy listed in the ebuild :/.
Jesterhead
Old Dear Hen

Postby amp_man » Sun Dec 24, 2006 0:06

Thanks for the advice, but ICK! Kuroo takes forever to do anything! I left a simple emerge --sync going for about 20 minutes, then killed kuroo and did it through the command line in a quarter of the time. Could be just that it's an old dual P3 with a mere 512mb of ram, but it shouldn't be that bad. Anyways, I'm back to manually editing the world, and then following your advice.
amp_man
Young Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion