Ideas for Sabayon's internet presence

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Ideas for Sabayon's internet presence

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Fri Jan 04, 2013 13:30

Hey out there,
I've talked with Enlik last night and want to collect some ideas here (not completely since my data is stored on another computer).
Sabayon is great, but I have some points to complain. Maybe some other community members want to add their points to give the developers/contributors some feedback =)

• One Sign-in for most services: At the moment you have to register on forums, on wiki, on bugzilla, on transifex etc. to use several aspects of this distro. As you can see on the main page's source code (Ctrl+U in firefox), Drupal is used. Isn't it possible, to code some Drupal extensions to improve this situation (e.g. including a wiki instance)?
  • Planet Sabayon: Some time (years?) ago, there was planet.sabayon.org, a place, where several blogs were aggregated via a Planet. I would like to revitalise it, if some community members wrote blog articles, too. I've got some developer's blogs in my feed reader at the moment (lxnay, joost, wolfden, Fitzcarraldo - who is no dev, but an "One-man-army" (by micia) - and others). Oh, and Enlik pointed me to the main page resp. to the articles below the press release concerning Sabayon X.
  • Visibility of blog articles: At the moment, the release note of Sabayon X consumpts too much space to see other blog articles. Maybe the titles could be collected above the "New forum posts" section?
  • Own section for contributors: Since there are no "Discuss"/Talk pages for wiki articles at the moment, I'd like to have an own subforum here. I can imagine, that translators and developers could share their thoughts there, too. So rather a contributor's corner than one for community members.
  • Get involved: I would like to see a list of methods to contribute, such as translate (transifex), document (Wiki), code (Git), report bugs (Bugzilla) and so on. I think "Our Community" on the main page could be the right place for it (I know, that most of the services listed here are mentioned in the headers).
I probably mist some points, but this come in my mind right now.

What would you like to see on Sabayon's internet presence?
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Re: Ideas for Sabayon's internet presence

Postby Thev00d00 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 18:46

Yes. Patches are welcome :P
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby manifesto » Mon Jan 07, 2013 23:01

I think SSO is a must, I feel strange to have several logins for "same" site, it will look as well more professionnal.
It maybe could be done by using a central ressource repo like LDAP or SQL db but would need to spend time to develop !
Other thing I think the wiki should be developped more, like allowing discussion and some staging environement for pages should be created. Whenever I try to translate a page I have to modify the "real" page which is a bit dangerous when managing bit changes.

Otherwise as you said "Internet presence", sabayon's guys should think what message they want to send to the world.
I feel like for now all sites for sabayon is more or less technical informations and are not very inviting for new people to come in.
If there is the idea to make sabayon spreaded to the world and try to make the distro more appealing a planet is a must but there should be some people "run" the place and making things more appealing on the top of the planet, introducing main news, maybe asking for users interaction ...

If sabayon's team is happy with current status planet is not essentiel in my opinion.
manifesto
Growing Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Fri Feb 01, 2013 0:17

manifesto wrote:I think SSO is a must, I feel strange to have several logins for "same" site, it will look as well more professionnal.
It maybe could be done by using a central ressource repo like LDAP or SQL db but would need to spend time to develop !

Hm, I have a student trainee as of April 2013 and thought of write a forum to learn Ruby on Rails (which the company uses). It could replace some parts of the web presence in the long run if I become more familiar with RoR to maintenance it. I have to think more about the features, it shall have, before I publish/link to the project's site on GitHub. Have to learn using git, too … In the beginning i'll only have one month to actively develop the project. I think, i'll go on in my spare time after that …

manifesto wrote:Other thing I think the wiki should be developped more, like allowing discussion and some staging environement for pages should be created. Whenever I try to translate a page I have to modify the "real" page which is a bit dangerous when managing bit changes.

Hm, don't know, wether it is, because I am admin now. But I can see discussions pages on the upper left hand of the articles now …
A staging area would be really nice. Since I can test my development environment "under real circumstances" later then.

manifesto wrote:Otherwise as you said "Internet presence", sabayon's guys should think what message they want to send to the world.
I feel like for now all sites for sabayon is more or less technical informations and are not very inviting for new people to come in.
If there is the idea to make sabayon spreaded to the world and try to make the distro more appealing a planet is a must but there should be some people "run" the place and making things more appealing on the top of the planet, introducing main news, maybe asking for users interaction ...

If sabayon's team is happy with current status planet is not essentiel in my opinion.

This is a thing, which the leaders have to decide. As for me I am going to translate the wiki as far as possible before structuring it. I miss some nice features like boxes for repeating issues (e.g. link to Rigo. How to install software …). But this have to be solved later.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion