Update Wiki (translators, (non-EN))

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Update Wiki (translators, (non-EN))

Postby batvink » Wed Nov 28, 2012 13:43

Wiki Translators,
please update the pages, as the [EN] Wiki is going through a major change.
Many pages are very outdated, and are candidates for deletion, or going to be renewed.
Some Pages are already disappeared, renewed, or summarized. eg. Howto: section.
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Re: Update Wiki (translators, (non-EN))

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Sun Dec 02, 2012 22:09

Oh, yeah, I've got a question about deleting articles in the wiki.

Just see my question to Aposteeltje and his reply for details.

Are there any rules concerning when to delete an article? Look, Himerge isn't available anymore, neither in entropy nor in portage. Is that a valid reason to delete the article?
I mean, okay, maybe it's irrelevant to sabayon, but how can I know, if not somebody else on a Gentoo based distro or so could use these information? In my opinion, one should only mark it as "deprecated" or so.
Hm, maybe I am a bit pathological collecting, but I dislike to simply delete information ...

Where's the right place to discuss this topic? If I choosed the wrong one, please move @Moderator.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby batvink » Mon Dec 03, 2012 0:56

There are many complaints about outdated pages in the Wiki.
Information that simply isn't valid anymore.
Before i delete a page, i check if the content is still valid. (yes, i test those myself)
If not, i try to improve the page, and /or give it a better place in a more appropriate section.
If there's nothing to improve, or If i see multiple pages with the same content, i summarize those into 1 good article, and delete the rest.

I suggest you do the same., 'cause right now, i think you're not even checking the content of the pages,
or probably don't understand the content of some pages.
You're only busy to edit your own "User talk:Ryuno-Ki" page.

Like i said:
People are NOT longing to see a Wiki full of pages marked as "deprecated", but rather a "updated" Wiki.

sincerely yours,
aposteeltje
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby hatalar205 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 22:40

I have been translating Turkish pages. And there are some pages no needed anymore (I myself created most of them but outdated or something else). And I want them to be deleted. Where or who can I ask to delete them? If needed I can prepare a URL list.

sincerely yours,
Hatalar205
Everything is your fault. Yes, I advised you but you did.
hatalar205
Simple Hen

Postby batvink » Tue Dec 04, 2012 21:40

Right now there's a discussion about this going on on SL-facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/36125411841/permalink/10151283545006842/
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Mon Dec 10, 2012 21:37

batvink wrote:Right now there's a discussion about this going on on SL-facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/36125411841/permalink/10151283545006842/

Not readable without a facebook account. Can you summarise the progress?
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby batvink » Thu Dec 13, 2012 22:57

Okay.
For every user out there, that doesn't use Facebook.,
Here's a Summary:
Code: Select all
Patrick Tuithof
Maybe a stupid question, but About the Wiki., Would you like to see a "updated" Wiki, or a Wiki full with pages, marked as: "deprecated / outdated" To (not only) my opinion, It should be as clear as possible. If the information there is outdated or worse, plain wrong a lot of people will go elsewhere rather than attempting to solve the problem/ask for help.

updated : 13 votes

Archive "deprecated / outdated" pages:

2 votes

Marked as: "deprecated / outdated":

none

Any information (even wrong), is better than no information:

none
Vind ik leuk · · Bericht niet meer volgen · 4 december om 16:10

Discussion:

Marcus Lehrberg Updated is the way to go i think. It eliminates chances for misunderstandings having just one up to date on each and every subject.
    4 december om 16:27 · Vind ik niet meer leuk · 1
    Ethan Hodge I'd much rather see an updated wiki. Part of why I left arch-based distro's was because their wikis and the arch wiki are filled with outdated posts that you have to sift through to find what you are looking for.
    4 december om 16:53 · Vind ik niet meer leuk · 1
    Patrick Tuithof ok, obvious. and how do you think of our Wiki so far?
    compared with Arch....
    4 december om 17:01 · Vind ik leuk
    Ethan Hodge So far it has a lot that is useful to what I have been looking for. At this point is seems small but that is, to me, because it's lacking all of the outdated posts and pages about things that may or may not work. Much more available in the wiki about how to learn the basics of the distro as well. That's a very comforting feature.
    4 december om 17:03 · Vind ik leuk
    Ben Tice I love the Arch wiki and the Gentoo wiki. I hope we can improve the Sabayon wiki to the same level of quality.
    4 december om 17:15 · Vind ik leuk
    Patrick Tuithof yeah. agree. Truth is; Sabayon evolves faster than the Wiki can handle, and simply too little Editors. Some create a Article, but never look back, again. That's the main reason of outdated pages.
    4 december om 17:18 · Vind ik leuk
    Ethan Hodge Exactly, but having things like the chat area on the Sabayon page so that new users can connect with more experienced users that can help them is a good plus as well. The Arch wiki is still very helpful, but all the outdated and incorrect pages kind of make it bloated. And in all honesty, is Sabayon evolving so quickly a bad thing?
    4 december om 17:33 · Vind ik niet meer leuk · 1
    Patrick Tuithof IRC. yeah. a very good plus.
    Evolving is never a bad thing. It brings improvements, for example.
    Editing the Wiki is a never ending story.
    I just wish more people would share their knowledge on the Wiki.
    4 december om 17:48 · Vind ik leuk
    Ethan Hodge I'd gladly help with that if I was more experienced with Gentoo or Sabayon, but this is currently day 2 of using it and as much as I like it there is always that feeling of relearning almost everything when switching distros. On the topic of the IRC, I...Meer weergeven
    4 december om 17:51 · Vind ik niet meer leuk · 2
    Ben Stevenson I think a good combination of marking as deprecated and updating is good
    4 december om 17:55 · Vind ik leuk
    Marcus Lehrberg The road often taken is: Stumble upon an issue, google till your eyes bleed, find a solution and leave it at that. Maybe you guys that has a better understanding about the nuts and bolts about Linux/gentoo/sabayon and can make the call of which wiki en...Meer weergeven
    4 december om 17:56 · Vind ik leuk
    Patrick Tuithof Well. if i find an outdated page, i look at the content., and check if it's still valid. (yes, i test that myself) If not valid, i try to improve.
    If i find there's nothing to improve, i simply delete the page.
    4 december om 18:04 · Vind ik leuk · 1
    Marcus Lehrberg We that don't really dare to tinker all that deeply leave some things alone For me all the little simple tweaks have worked so it's all good
    4 december om 18:07 · Vind ik leuk · 1
    Ethan Hodge As well it should be, unfortunately as Marcus Lehrberg stated how it normally goes for finding the solution to a linux problem. This goes back to what Patrick Tuithof said earlier "Sabayon is evolving faster than we can contribute to the wiki." This is...Meer weergeven
    4 december om 18:10 · Vind ik leuk
    Matt Evans I'm not so sure the wiki is solely there to find solutions to problems. For many (including myself) it may be one of the first points of contact for the distro. It is therefore crucial that it is as clear and up-to-date as possible as it reflects upon ...Meer weergeven
    4 december om 19:39 · Vind ik leuk · 1
    Patrick Tuithof jou mean just as like the Forum has a archive Matt Evans, with the following comment:
    "Old, Gone to Rest Posts - Read Only - If your topic got moved here, it's because it's outdated. Please keep current." ?
    4 december om 19:46 · Vind ik leuk
    Matt Evans That kind of thing, yes. lol
    4 december om 19:47 · Vind ik leuk
    Marcus Lehrberg The wiki for the new user i think is fairly comprehensive. When i knew sabayon was the distro for me that's where i went to get an understanding of sabayon. I think it's very informative both in terms on how to and most importantly what not to and then there is always the man-pages. It's what not to one must really learn first
    4 december om 19:57 · Vind ik leuk
    Patrick Tuithof I think creating a "Archive" section, and put there the outdated pages indeed is the safest choice, rather than simply delete them.
    From there, we could sort the pages and see if we can place them back after improving/adjusting.
    or delete if there's really nothing to improve.
    Everybody happy, it cleans up the Wiki, yet outdated pages stays accessible.
    4 december om 21:14 · Vind ik leuk · 2
    Patrick Tuithof Sabayon-Wiki Archive created.
    With appropriate icon.
    http://wiki.sabayon.org/images/5/55/Archive.png
    http://wiki.sabayon.org/images/5/55/Archive.png
    wiki.sabayon.org
    4 december om 23:24 · Vind ik leuk · 1 · Voorbeeld verwijderen
    Ben Stevenson ya the gentoo folks did that too, still comes in handy sometimes
    4 december om 23:28 · Vind ik leuk
    Matt Evans Just be careful someone doesn't 'unarchive' them all without contacting you.
    4 december om 23:28 · Vind ik niet meer leuk · 1
    Patrick Tuithof Matt, i already contacted "someone" about this..
    Now waiting for his reply.
    4 december om 23:34 · Bewerkt · Vind ik leuk
    Matt Evans As long as you get the ok from 'The Boss' I like your idea. lol
    4 december om 23:36 · Vind ik leuk
    Ben Tice We NEED to update more. It would be helpful if we could access old pages and mark pages as needing updating.
    5 december om 1:46 · Bewerkt · Vind ik leuk · 1
    Matt Evans That's an excellent idea, especially in conjunction with archiving old/deprecated pages.
    4 december om 23:38 · Vind ik leuk · 1
    Patrick Tuithof thnks2u, mate.
    4 december om 23:42 · Vind ik leuk
    Rémy Epke Liking this brainstorm session a lot!
    4 december om 23:46 · Vind ik niet meer leuk · 2
    Jeff Zacher I don't really understand the question...the wiki has a view history tab...if the topic is obsolete, it should be noted as such on the top with a link to the technology that replaced it...
    5 december om 0:30 · Vind ik leuk
    Matt Evans Wouldn't it be better to have that old/out-dated page in a separate archived section with just the page containing the technology that replaced it available in the main wiki?
    5 december om 0:35 · Vind ik leuk
    Patrick Tuithof If the content is outdated, but can be updated, i adjust that.
    Pages such as howto:himerge are not only outdated, but also useless, as it's not available anymore. not even in overlays.
    So question is: simply delete such pages, or move to the Archive......
    5 december om 0:40 · Vind ik leuk
    Patrick Tuithof Outdated pages are definitely not belonging in the "active" part of the Wiki, but rather in a Archive, or deleted if completely useless.
    5 december om 0:54 · Vind ik leuk · 1
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby manifesto » Fri Dec 14, 2012 15:30

Hi,

In French it is very old, it still refers to emerge stuff.
What is the policy to update pages ?
Is there any tool to follow/organise changes except the wiki history itself ?
manifesto
Growing Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Sat Dec 15, 2012 0:12

@batvink:
So we move outdated pages to an archive. Pages, which are really useless will be deleted, after a short rate? For example: Ask at least three (due to the less amount of) admins wether it shall be deleted?
Such as proposed on my talk site?

manifesto wrote:Hi,
In French it is very old, it still refers to emerge stuff.
What is the policy to update pages ?
Is there any tool to follow/organise changes except the wiki history itself ?

@manifesto:
I started gathering different sites on my talk site so you have an overview of the state of the art.
If you ask me, best way is to have someone (batvink, or even the devels themselves) updating the English part of the wiki and the translators try to keep the other sites up-to-date related to this language.
I suggest, you start with the articles linked on the main page first.

Oh, and batvink, before I forget: Please prefix the English pages with an En:
If anyone (me?) will write a better search module for the wiki, it comes really handy relating to the i18n Template. We need to change the URLs of some translated articles therefore, too.
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby batvink » Sat Dec 22, 2012 22:11

The EN version of the Wiki is the most current, and up to date version.
Translators who are familiar with the English language, and can read and understand it, can refer to the English Wiki
and translate it to their own language.
When you find outdated pages, other than English., i encourage you to update them, using the English Wiki as a example.
We don't really have a policy., just editing guidelines which can be read here:
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... Guidelines

Rayuno-ki:
Yes, we move outdated pages to the archive.
From there, we can try to improve them and/or place back to the "active" part of the Wiki.
If there's nothing to improve, indeed in a amount of time, it shall be deleted.
(after triple checking the content)
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion