mounting ntfs partition (newbie question)

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

pioneer
Baby Hen

mounting ntfs partition (newbie question)

Post by pioneer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:28

I have one NTFS partition win Windows on my notebook. This partition mounts correctly and automatically except of such a bad thing that files and folders with non-English symbols in names are not shown. I need help because I do not know how to fix this bad thing.
Also, that partition mounts only if I access it via KDE's view of partitions and devices (media:/).
Because this partition is always present in my system, I want that it will be mounted permanently, but in the same way as other devices - i.e. I like the point the partition mounts (/media/System) and I do not want to change it, I do not want to put anything in /etc/fstab (yes, I like that automatic mounting and I do not want to change the system and the way all partitions mount). Practically, I want to understand how partitions mount in Sabayon and how I can to tune this process. Also, I am not a fanatic and if the most practical way to stay NTFS partition mounted permanently is to put it into /etc/fstab, I will do it, but firstly I want to know how to do that using the way partitions mount in Sabayon.

Thank you.

Norbert
Young Hen

Post by Norbert » Tue Dec 19, 2006 18:05

About non-English file names:
for me it works with following line in the /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor:

change this line

Code: Select all

<merge key="volume.mount_option" type="string">umask=0222</merge>
to

Code: Select all

<merge key="volume.mount_option" type="string">umask=0222,iocharset=utf8</merge>
where "utf8" (also can be "cp1251" for Windows-1251 codepage) is file names encoding.

Try that.

It is easy to mount external drive (for example USB Flash or Camera), but for local HDD partitions IMHO you should use Storage Media menu. Mounted volumes are listed in the /media/ folder. Folder names are the volume labels or physical names (sdaN. hdaX).

IMHO Sabayon uses pmount and ivman programs for partition mounting.

P.S. My english is not perfect. But i want to help.

pioneer
Baby Hen

Post by pioneer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 0:07

Thank you, but I do not see the file in 10osvendor to change appropriate lines. Can you tell me what is the name of this file? Maybe, it is neccesary to emerge something?

Norbert
Young Hen

Sorry, i miss it.

Post by Norbert » Wed Dec 20, 2006 14:18

The name of the file is 99-ntfs-policy.fdi
And full path is /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/99-ntfs-policy.fdi