comparison with other distros

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: comparison with other distros

Post by wolfden » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:17

Keep in mind, your hardware and user knowledge plays an important role in "updates".

Sabayon takes packages from the Gentoo portage testing branch, not the stable branch. We call ourselves bleeding edge for a reason and we break things from time to time. Fixes are generally available quickly. I have run the limbo (testing) repo for years and I'm productive with it 99% of the time.

You just need to sit down and give it a trial run.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:02

albfneto wrote:stability: never a rolling release Distro can be more stable than for example, debian or slackware with old packages. Rolling Release philosophy priorizes novelty, not stability...
Not necessarily. For example, Gentoo Stable (e.g. x86 arch and amd64 arch) is a stable rolling-release distribution. Only packages that are officially declared stable by the distribution's package developers after substantial testing are added to the repository of the Stable branch, unlike the Unstable/Testing branch (e.g. ~x86 arch and ~amd64 arch) where packages that are not fully tested and not declared stable officially are also included in the repository. Of course, the packages in the Unstable/Testing branch tend to be later versions than those in the Stable branch. For example, Gentoo Stable still uses GRUB Legacy whereas Gentoo Unstable/Testing includes GRUB 2. Gentoo Stable branch priorities stability, not novelty.

I am using Gentoo Unstable/Testing on my main laptop, and am prepared for something to break after I upgrade one or more packages, whereas on another of my laptops I am using Gentoo Stable and do not expect anything to break after I upgrade one or more packages.

SL, which is often referred to as 'stable', is based on Gentoo Unstable/Testing branch and so cannot guarantee stability, although, as with Gentoo Unstable/Testing, an upgrade is often without problems. But 'Stable' with an upper case 'S' and 'stable' with a lower case 's' are not the same thing.

jackalpret
Baby Hen

Post by jackalpret » Sat Jun 09, 2012 18:25

Well, that I search is stable with hardware and good memory management, not freezes.

For example, Ubuntu will be stable ... buttttt I have too much problems with stability in this distro.

what is the most common problems on non-stable updates in sabayon ?
what problems can I have ? and what is the way to resolve these ?

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 19:33

jackalpret wrote:what is the most common problems on non-stable updates in sabayon ?
what problems can I have ? and what is the way to resolve these ?
Type "upgrade" into the SL Forums Search box and hit Enter. That should give you an idea.