Updating / Upgrading Sabayon [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Updating / Upgrading Sabayon [Solved]

Post by B3rtm3n » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:12

I had tried out Sabayon last year .. but when you run in to problems very fast with an operating system it is time to say goodbye but I always liked the slick design and install options delivered on the dvd.

However what I hate about a Linux distribution is when it start screaming things like 'out of the box' and ' best user experience' or 'userfriendly' when it turns out not to be the case, just like with you guys (do not refer to Gentoo documentation which is one of the most user-unfriendly distro's).

With a rolling release you actually do not have version numbers but the downloads are actually nothing but current snapshots.
As a noob user I never understood when installing Sabayon why I had so many updates waiting with the same size of the dvd I actually downloaded in order to install Sabayon ...

After updating I had in my grub meny 3.2.0 and 3.3.0

3.3.0 gave me a black screen and I soon discovered this was related to my nvidia driver

I have spend at least 3 hours trying to solve this matter, the problem was actually the lack of good documentation and mostly the number of typo's and out of date information
( f.ex: http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... _genkernel)

I have solved the matter on my own, with a lot of attempts and trying out different commands in terminal

What solved the problem for me was:

equo install nvidia-drivers#3.3.0 sabayon

eselect opengl set nvidia

gpasswd -a 'username' video

'out of the box' and 'best user experience' would have meant that Sabayon would have done this automatically after rebooting when doing the upgrade (PCBSD does this for their nvidia users).

Ps. Please rename the INSTALL button which is found under Applications in Entropy Store as it feels stupid to click on the install button when you are actually uninstalling software
thx
Last edited by B3rtm3n on Tue May 08, 2012 18:32, edited 5 times in total.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Nvidia

Post by Stupot » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:53

Did you do more than a "equo upgrade"

New kernels shouldn't be pulled in by that command.

Also, there is documention on how to upgrade your kernel easily (which will handle the upgrading of graphics drivers automatically).

https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... l_Switcher

It seems as though I found it easily enough, but perhaps the kernel-switcher wiki should be somehow included on this page:

https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... troduction

B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Post by B3rtm3n » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:10

I will read the piece about Switcher, I thought as a rolling release all would be autoupdated/upgrade by itself (I am a noob).

Anyway, the only updates I installed was with the software manager which comes along with Sabayon!

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Fri Apr 13, 2012 16:55

Updates will keep you up to date with the latest for everything except the kernel. Upgrading kernels take special care.

The point of a rolling distro is that you have to basically reinstall your entire system for every major release (like Ubuntu releases).

Simply staying up to date means you are on the latest Sabayon.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:56

Stupot wrote:The point of a rolling distro is that you have to basically reinstall your entire system for every major release (like Ubuntu releases).
Stupot, I assume you meant to write: "The point of a rolling distro is that you don't have to basically reinstall your entire system for every major release (like Ubuntu releases)." but I didn't want to edit your post.

albfneto
Sagely Hen

Post by albfneto » Sun Apr 15, 2012 0:39

remenber that if you upgraded to the new kernel, you should reboot and boot to this new kernel..
the drivers re-installation should be in the new kernel.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE

oboedad55
Baby Hen

Post by oboedad55 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 0:14

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Stupot wrote:The point of a rolling distro is that you have to basically reinstall your entire system for every major release (like Ubuntu releases).
Stupot, I assume you meant to write: "The point of a rolling distro is that you don't have to basically reinstall your entire system for every major release (like Ubuntu releases)." but I didn't want to edit your post.
@Fitzcarraldo
I assume this is the case? IOW, the releases are just snapshots, similar to Arch. The latest Arch CD is from last August, but if you do a net install you have an up-to-date system. Same with Sabayon?
BTW, I just installed Sabayon 8 last night to give it a try and I have to say, I'm mighty impressed. It seems to be the zippiest KDE implementation out there. I just had a look at the wiki for how to deal with package management, quite easy to follow. I ditched the gui very quickly as it's more confusing than the cli. I did have some good results with Rigo though, which is less confusing than the Entropy Store.
Registered Linux user #436067
-----------------------------------
Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 0:46

oboedad55, your assumption is correct: the SL LiveDVDs are snapshots. If you install from a LiveDVD and then use the update and upgrade commands (and kernel-switcher command if there is a new kernel) then you will 'roll' (upgrade) to latest of everything in the Entropy repository you have selected. You never have to install from a LiveDVD again.

mélodie
Simple Hen

Post by mélodie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:30

Hi,
Has B3rtm3n installed Virtualbox ? Does the last message at the main page state that doing so will pull in a newer kernel and bring some trouble ?

http://sabayon.org/article/sabayon-%E2% ... ation-woos
The scenario is that you download Sabayon 8 version, install it and than decide to install Virtualbox and Virtualbox pulls a lot of stuff including a new kernel of 3.3. Sabayon 8 iso comes with kernel 3.2 so when you go and install Virtualbox you are indirectly invoking a kernel upgrade.
?

I also have a question about "out of the box". There are 2 distros at least that I know which provide a good font configuration out of the box. My supposition is that Sabayon might have the means to also provide a good font conf...
I have looked at the sabayon wiki, didn't find. I was advised to look at the arch wiki, which I also know.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration
Check for Xorg's known font paths by reviewing its log:

$ grep /fonts /var/log/Xorg.0.log
I invoke the command and get:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ grep /fonts /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[  4094.711] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/" does not exist.
[  4094.711] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF/" does not exist.
[  4094.711] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/" does not exist.
[  4094.711] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/".
[  4094.711] 	(Run 'mkfontdir' on "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/").
[  4094.711] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/".
[  4094.711] 	(Run 'mkfontdir' on "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/").
	/usr/share/fonts/misc/
[email protected] ~ $ 

Should I open a topic about the fontconfig matter somewhere on the forum ? Where would it be the right place ?

Thanks,
Mélodie

oboedad55
Baby Hen

Post by oboedad55 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:24

Fitzcarraldo wrote:oboedad55, your assumption is correct: the SL LiveDVDs are snapshots. If you install from a LiveDVD and then use the update and upgrade commands (and kernel-switcher command if there is a new kernel) then you will 'roll' (upgrade) to latest of everything in the Entropy repository you have selected. You never have to install from a LiveDVD again.
Thanks, I figured that was the case but wanted to double-check. Sabayon has much to recommend it so I'm enjoying the journey.

@ melodie
I have some fonts questions too, but I think a new topic would be appropos since this topic has "Nvidia" as the subject.
Registered Linux user #436067
-----------------------------------
Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.