A few things with Sabayon Linux

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

A few things with Sabayon Linux

Postby st0kes » Sat Dec 09, 2006 20:12

Ok, I don't post in forums often but I thought I would sign up to say well done on producing such a fine distro, it's really outstanding ..... especially the hardware detection which is absolutely faultless! Also I love the desktop theme! :thumright:

One critisizm is the new style KDE menu, yuk. I already found another thread in the forum that tells how to put it back to normal.

I do have a few issues I need help with:

1. My WLAN card is detected but not configured at boot, even though I gave the installer the right information. After logging in I have to use:
Code: Select all
iwconfig ra0 essid cupotea
dhclient ra0

What is the correct way to automate this in Sabayon Linux? I did find the little switch at the top of the screen with some wireless network options, but I couldn't get it to work properly.

2. I takes an a lifetime to boot. Around 2-3 minutes. Is there anything I can do to streamline the process?

3. Embedded video (for example YouTube) does not play correctly. In Firefox the audio stammers and then craps out and I have to close the browser. In Konq it just freezes, and in Opera it just gets stuck on "Loading ...".

4. Root Konsole does not work. I put in my credentials and then it disappears and nothing happens.

5. Where is Quake and the other games? They were there when the CD was in Live mode but not after the install!

Just another observation - fonts look great in Konqueror but awful in Firefox. Not really a big deal, but why is that?
st0kes
Baby Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Sat Dec 09, 2006 23:22

just a quick answer from a user on point 3 and 5 :

3. Something has went wrong with the implementation of streaming multimedia by accident, you can easily solve it by unmerging firefox, then download Firefox from mozilla (not emerge it again, will give same result for some reason), install it, then emerge mplayerplug-in and copy all content of /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins to your firefox plugin folder and streaming will suddenly work like a charm how it was intended. (same for Opera).
After the install of the mplayerplug-in, konqueror should work normally.
see also: http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2305

5. The Quake4 Demo and some others are only given in Live mode and not installed on HD.
maybe you can also take a look here if you own the full game: http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... ight=quake

greetings,
Amp
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion