tty background

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

tty background

Postby stressat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:39

Hello, in old versions of Sabayon, the tty background was black, in new versions the background is an image with name and logo of Sabayon.
I want to know how it's made, because i want to change that image, and make the same thing in another distributions. Thanks. :roll:

Sorry for my bad English.
stressat
Baby Hen

Re: tty background

Postby micia » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:30

On Sabayon TTY backgrounds are handled by fbsplash, changing it would require changes to the kernel images initramfs, so if your other distributions use something else, it is pointless for you to learn how Sabayon handles this.

However, you need to do another theme for your consoles,you can use as a reference the themes provided by Sabayonn, take a look at:
/etc/splash/sabayon
you have to make a theme like this one and put it under the:
/etc/splash
directory.

Once you did this you have to update the initramfs for your kernel, to do this you have to use:
(as root)
Code: Select all
splash_manager
splash_geninitramfs

Be really careful, especially with splash_geninitramfs, since you are modifying critical files.
Be sure to use --append with splash_geninitramfs if you are going to edit the Sabayon Linux initramfs files, otherwise you will face some bad consequences for your boot.
Refer to the help messages of these commands to find out how do they work, for example:
Code: Select all
splash_manager --help
splash_geninitramfs --help

Once you edit your initramfs you can customize:
/etc/conf.d/fbcondecor
to set your TTY backgrounds on a per-TTY basis.
micia
Sagely Hen

Re: tty background

Postby stressat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:58

Thanks!Is a good starting point. :D
stressat
Baby Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion