Fresh new system boot problem..

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Fresh new system boot problem..

Postby pepe999 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:47

Hi all,
I have reinstall the system because updates made it unusable so I thought the new Gnome system will better. However, over night I was watching movies and fell asleep. In the morning the wifi connection didn't work so I restarted the laptop and it went well until it got to the X. After 2 seconds on the desktop the gnome panel disappeared and the screen stayed on the wallpaper. I have noticed that Sabayon goes down and down on www.distrowatch.com and I see why. I want to use the system, not finding solutions how make anything to work because it doesn't but worked before. Fortunately I still have the original Windows on it as a backup system.
Dell L502X - Core i7-2840QM/8GB DDR3/GF 540M 2GB/Corsair GT 240GB/Full HD
Debian 7
Win 7 still installed
Linux user no. 491024
pepe999
Advanced Hen

Re: Fresh new system boot problem..

Postby raman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 15:02

No problem man. Your free will, your free opinion. My Sabayon is running one year without problems, but who knows, maybe I'm lucky.
So like I said, np. man, if you want use Windows, go ahead, your free will. If you want help about Sabayon, give us some logs etc.
For your information, all systems have problems, the windows too, but this is your call what ou are using.
About distrowatch. I don't care, ppl are downloading systems, which are most popular at the moment, they have some problems, take another distribution, etc., etc. The most ppl that have Sabayon, don't download another version, because this is rolling distro and they don't have to.
Whatever.
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby micia » Mon Oct 10, 2011 15:18

As raman said,
can you see any error in:
~/.xsession-errors
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
?

Remember that even if the screen frezees, you should be able to get a console using:
ctrl+alt+F1

Some informations on your PC would also be welcome (architecture, video card, etc...).
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby pepe999 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:30

micia wrote:As raman said,
can you see any error in:
~/.xsession-errors
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
?

Remember that even if the screen frezees, you should be able to get a console using:
ctrl+alt+F1

Some informations on your PC would also be welcome (architecture, video card, etc...).

Hi,
I know but I'm tired to solve problems every day with a system what used to be a good and also stable one. That was the reason why I left Ubuntu. However, since Gnome 3 the system is not like used to be..
if you want use Windows, go ahead, your free will

I don't want to use Windows but I have to because my primary system is down and Windows usually work each time I turn it on. I can't say that about Sabayon what I have been using for 2-3 years as a primary system..
Debian 7
Win 7 still installed
Linux user no. 491024
pepe999
Advanced Hen

Postby micia » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:36

pepe999 wrote:Hi,
I know but I'm tired to solve problems every day with a system what used to be a good and also stable one. That was the reason why I left Ubuntu. However, since Gnome 3 the system is not like used to be..

I know it can be frustrating, but without any information from your logs and without some PC informations we can't help you :)
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby genfool » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:38

with gnome3, it is known to be in beta ... it is not stable at this time.
Gnome has dropped support for gnome 2, is many deps required to stay current, was discussion about keeping gnome2 as long as possible in sabayon ... is no longer possible.
In this case, is gnome that is turning your world sideways, is not sabayon's fault to go with gnome3.

same thing happened when kde 3.5 went to 4.0, they had a beta program and pushed it down the users throats . We had no choice ... I was mad, upset ... blamed it on the whole world, I switched from kde to gnome for awhile, a few months went by and I went back to kde. I am now happy with kde4.
Same thing is going on with gnome3 right now, many are moving to xfce, lxde, kde ... in a few months gnome will be better.

About the icon and desktop issue after updating, was a bug upstream that effected sabayon, it does happen.
Is a simple fix, open root terminal and

equo install gdk-pixbuf

Sorry you or anyone was affected by it, if you look at the forums and view the active topics, almost everyone was affected by it. But is simple fix, you may have been able to find it if you looked a little harder :roll:
About gnome issue, install another de with your current gnome, learn to use it ... wait until gnome is more stable.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby pepe999 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:54

Hi guys,
I will try Debian for a while. There is still 2.6.32-5 kernel so Gnome 2 and it works. Sorry about this thread, I was very nervous without a computer. Now everything works and I hope that Sabayon will be as good as before in the near future.. :)
Debian 7
Win 7 still installed
Linux user no. 491024
pepe999
Advanced Hen

Postby genfool » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:30

pepepe 999 I think this is a great idea.
Not being sarcastic, I always suggest the best distro to do the job is the best one to use, even if that means windows or debian.

I use win 7 on my htpc computer for the htpc, my wifes computer is xpee, my computer is multi boot with two gentoo and a sabayon .... dirty little secret is, I have debian installed just to handle grub. It does the job where gentoo fall flat on its face.

I will have no ill feelings if you try debian, I will wish you luck with it.
With my debian install, just reminds me of why I like gentoo.
If you only eat one flavour of ice cream, how would you know what was your favourite?

Sabayon will be here if you change your mind.
genfool
Technological Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion