menu.lst entry for Sabayon 6 [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

menu.lst entry for Sabayon 6 [Solved]

Postby houndhen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 21:00

Sabayon 6 kde 32bit

Installed Sabayon, rebooted, updated. Everything went fine. Rebooted and logged into Mepis 11 kde to reset MBR. I work mostly in the gui and Mepis has a gui to reset MBR.

I wanted to use grub legacy as my boot menu rather than grub2. Mepis uses grub legacy. Oddly enough after rebooting and resetting the MBR there was no menu.lst entry for Sabayon 6.

Now I need to add an entry to my menu.lst for booting Sabayon. Mepis is on sda8 and Sabayon is on sda9.

Can I chainload like this?

Code: Select all
title Sabayon 6
root (hd0,8)
kernel xxxxxxxxxxx
intrid xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also, where is the kernel and intrid details stored on Sabayon?

Thanks,
Harold
Last edited by houndhen on Fri Sep 16, 2011 0:46, edited 1 time in total.
houndhen
Young Hen

Re: menu.lst entry for Sabayon 6

Postby BlackNoxis » Wed Sep 14, 2011 0:35

Try to re-mount the Sabayon image with grub-mkconfig :-? I guess. If it's quite a thing, genkernel after you compile your sabayon source kernel, auto-mounts the image of sabayon with all the settings needed (+other distros), but that's a long way. Anyway, that's the choice I would make :-?
BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Postby houndhen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:45

BlackNoxis wrote:Try to re-mount the Sabayon image with grub-mkconfig :-? I guess. If it's quite a thing, genkernel after you compile your sabayon source kernel, auto-mounts the image of sabayon with all the settings needed (+other distros), but that's a long way. Anyway, that's the choice I would make :-?

I'm sorry, I don't understand your instructions. I would assume that I would enter 'grub-mkconfig' from the command line but do I do that from inside Mepis or where?

I am not familiar at all with compiling a kernel or auto-mounting a image.
houndhen
Young Hen

Postby BlackNoxis » Wed Sep 14, 2011 14:42

Ok, let me take it step by step :
1st : If you're in Sabayon, then you should have the option to compile your kernel with genkernel (the long way). The short way in Sabayon is by using the command grub-mkconfig -- (options over here, where you should read about grub config in sabayon). You should watch this post http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=15514 to see what options you should use when activating Sabayon & other system (when you're logged in Sabayon)
2nd : If you're in Mepis and you have grub2, then install or compile yourself the grub legacy and it will automatically see all OS boot images
3rd : If the grub in Mepis doesn't see the boot image of Sabayon, you should look for it yourself (mount the /dev/s(h)daX of Sabayon and locate it where it is and use it in the options you see in the above forum topic).
4th : If you don't have any Sabayon image and you're a novice @ Sabayon, you should reinstall the system and assure that you save your image where it belongs.

I didn't quite understand what system you are able to run, so I made clear in each of the case what should you do, if you need further info, reply :)
BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Postby houndhen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 18:29

BlackNoxis wrote:Ok, let me take it step by step :
1st : If you're in Sabayon, then you should have the option to compile your kernel with genkernel (the long way). The short way in Sabayon is by using the command grub-mkconfig -- (options over here, where you should read about grub config in sabayon). You should watch this post http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=15514 to see what options you should use when activating Sabayon & other system (when you're logged in Sabayon)
2nd : If you're in Mepis and you have grub2, then install or compile yourself the grub legacy and it will automatically see all OS boot images
3rd : If the grub in Mepis doesn't see the boot image of Sabayon, you should look for it yourself (mount the /dev/s(h)daX of Sabayon and locate it where it is and use it in the options you see in the above forum topic).
4th : If you don't have any Sabayon image and you're a novice @ Sabayon, you should reinstall the system and assure that you save your image where it belongs.

I didn't quite understand what system you are able to run, so I made clear in each of the case what should you do, if you need further info, reply :)
1st, Not in Sabayon and don't know how to get to it without a boot menu entry. 2nd, I can get into Mepis but it uses grub legacy and I have no idea of how to compile grub legacy. 3rd, Grub in Mepis doesn't have an entry for Sabayon in the menu.lst. I know where Sabayon resides - /sda9. 4th, I am a novice at Sabayon. Installation was no problem but the update took several hours. I can run Mepis, Ubuntu, and Windows.
houndhen
Young Hen

Postby BlackNoxis » Wed Sep 14, 2011 19:31

Good, so the next thing you will do is to look for the sabayon image and add is a entry, I showed you which was the way, but there is another thing here, can you acces grub.conf ? (It's a menu.lst)
Last edited by BlackNoxis on Wed Sep 14, 2011 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 19:34

houndhen wrote:Sabayon 6 kde 32bit

Installed Sabayon, rebooted, updated. Everything went fine. Rebooted and logged into Mepis 11 kde to reset MBR. I work mostly in the gui and Mepis has a gui to reset MBR.

I wanted to use grub legacy as my boot menu rather than grub2. Mepis uses grub legacy. Oddly enough after rebooting and resetting the MBR there was no menu.lst entry for Sabayon 6.

Now I need to add an entry to my menu.lst for booting Sabayon. Mepis is on sda8 and Sabayon is on sda9.

Can I chainload like this?

title Sabayon 6
root (hd0,8)
kernel xxxxxxxxxxx
intrid xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also, where is the kernel and intrid details stored on Sabayon?

Thanks,
Harold

I'm assuming you don't have a separate boot partition, i.e. /boot for Mepis is on /dev/sda8, and /boot for SL is on /dev/sda9. Is that how you installed the two OSs?

When you installed SL, the GRUB 2 equivalent of GRUB Legacy's Stage 1 code was written to /dev/sda's MBR, and the GRUB 2 equivalent of GRUB Legacy's Stage 2 code was written to /dev/sda9. Thus, when you next booted your HDD, GRUB 2 code in the MBR booted the GRUB 2 code on /dev/sda9 which looked in /boot/grub/grub.cfg and loaded the SL initramfs and kernel image stored in the /boot directory on /dev/sda9. When you then subsequently used your Mepis LiveCD/DVD to reset the MBR to GRUB Legacy, the MBR now contains GRUB Legacy's Stage 1 code which runs the GRUB Legacy Stage 2 code on /dev/sda8. That's why you don't see SL any more when you boot.

If I were you, I'd chroot into the SL installation and restore GRUB 2, which would then put GRUB 2 code in the MBR and GRUB 2 code in /dev/sda9. From the chroot environment I'd run:

grub2-install /dev/sda

to install the GRUB 2 code in the MBR, and then I'd run:

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

to create a /boot/grub/grub.cfg file that should detect Mepis on /dev/sda8 as well as SL.

Then when you reboot, you should be presented with a GRUB 2 menu that will show both SL and Mepis, and you can select whichever of the two you wish to boot.

I've skimmed over it, so read the SL Wiki article: HOWTO: Restore Grub2 for the full details.

May as well bite the bullet: GRUB Legacy is history.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby BlackNoxis » Wed Sep 14, 2011 20:05

Chroot is much much better :D, but he's a novice, show him a link or so to see what you were talking about, and the issue will be solved
BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 20:21

Fitzcarraldo wrote:I've skimmed over it, so read the SL Wiki article: HOWTO: Restore Grub2 for the full details.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion