Apple trailers

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Apple trailers

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 17:54

Before I bother to downgrade gecko-mediaplayer from 1.0.4 to 1.0.0 (the latter being the current version in Entropy) due to a bug in the former (Apple trailers not working again - Comment 27), would someone kindly check to see if you can watch videos on the Apple Movie Trailer site? For example, can you watch http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/inde ... -automatic in Firefox?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Apple trailers

Postby ExpatPaul » Fri Sep 09, 2011 19:28

It works fine in Chromium for me, but when I try it in Firefox the video window pops up but nothing plays.
ExpatPaul
Simple Hen

Re: Apple trailers

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 19:51

Thanks for the feedback.

gecko-mediaplayer-1.0.4 is masked for www-client/chromium:

Code: Select all
RDEPEND=">=dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.92
        >=dev-libs/glib-2.26:2
        dev-libs/nspr
        >=media-video/gnome-mplayer-1.0.4[dbus]
        >=net-libs/xulrunner-1.9.2:1.9
        curl? ( net-misc/curl )
        !www-client/chromium"

Notice the last line above? That means gecko-mediaplayer-1.0.4 cannot run with chromium, as I found out last night when I installed chromium-14.0.835.157 via Portage and it automatically uninstalled gecko-mediaplayer. See Gentoo Bugzilla Report No. 351123 and the Gentoo Forums thread chromium" is blocking www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer ? for further information.

Apparently Firefox can now use mozplugger instead of gecko-mediaplayer, but, when I installed mozplugger-1.14.2, I could still not watch videos on the Apple Movie Trailer site. Oh, well. I'll have to wait for gecko-mediaplayer to be patched (see Comment 28 on that site I linked to in my previous post) and a new version to be released. I have uninstalled Chromium and reinstalled gecko-mediaplayer in the meantime, leaving me with firefox-6.0.1 and gecko-mediaplayer-1.0.4, which at least allows me to view most on-line video.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion