BFS kernel ?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

BFS kernel ?

Postby Oranjer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:02

I installed PClinuxOS 2011.06 (KDE) on my labtop and now on my desktop it is linux kernel 2.38.8-pclos1.bfs :oops:
I have noticed something PClinuxOS is more faster & responsive than Sabayon 6 KDE or any distro i ever used (fedora 14,15 ,Ubuntu 11.04, Mepis 11) i don't know why but I just suspect the BFS (Brain [email protected] Scheduler) kernel in PClinuxOS is a factor. also booting time is short & when idle my system ate 320 MB of ram similar to my labtop. but i don't like Synaptics it work but not beat Entropy Store :D

Sorry i don't want to push anything & i am not geek but i just want to tell to SL team for this if it worth . just try BFS for an experiment or an option ? or maybe test PClinuxOS 2011.06

Warm Regards
Oranjer
Oranjer
Baby Hen

Re: BFS kernel ?

Postby lxnay » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:32

We have the "Fusion" kernel in repos.
Code: Select all
kernel-switcher switch sys-kernel/linux-fusion
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby Oranjer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 13:25

Thank lxnay for your replying and i'm glad Sabayon have optional kernel. but i just wonder what difference between "Fusion" & "BFS" kernel ?
Oranjer
Baby Hen

Postby lxnay » Fri Sep 02, 2011 13:54

See my blog post on the sabayon.org front page.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby cmost » Sat Sep 03, 2011 19:39

BFS stands for 'The Brain Fuck Scheduler' and is an alternative kernel scheduler. BFS was created by kernel programmer Con Kolivas in 2009 who thought the mainline kernel scheduler CFS was antiquated and too complex. The BFS scheduler is very simple compared to the default CFS scheduler present in the mainline kernel, which stands for 'Completely Fair Scheduler.' Most default Linux distributions use the CFS scheduler, however it isn’t thought to be great. The supposed benefits of BFS versus CFS have been debated, but BFS is generally regarded as faster and offering better performance on lower spec hardware and desktop machines while CFS is intended for higher scalability (e.g., multi-CPU servers and clusters.) You can check out some more great information as well as some benchmarks of a shiny new BFS 3.0 Kernel, which were performed by Phoronix here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=bfs_two_years&num=1

I'm using the new 3.0.0-Fusion kernel and I admit I've noticed a nice little improvement in snappiness all around. :D Though, I don't know if I'm falling victim to affirmation bias, considering I do have a six core processor, which would seem to benefit from the CFS scheduler versus BFS, at least according to the aforementioned benchmarks. I'll give this kernel a spin and see what I think after a couple weeks of use.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion