Recent Install of Sabayon 6.0 Won't Boot Into Graphic Mode

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Recent Install of Sabayon 6.0 Won't Boot Into Graphic Mode

Postby gdawg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:38

Hi,
I'm running a Dell Inspiron 530S with Win 7 and several Linux distros installed on a main hard drive and an external drive. I received a DVD with my Linux Format magazine with Sabayon 6.0 on it. I couldn't get it to install Graphically so installed in Text mode. I can only work it in Text mode. I read an entry in this forum regarding a similar problem in 5.0 issue of Sabayon. Went into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed the driver from "ati" to "fglrx" but it didn't help. I am able to boot into text mode. Any help will be appreciated.
gdawg
Baby Hen

Re: Recent Install of Sabayon 6.0 Won't Boot Into Graphic Mo

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:41

There is no point changing "ati" to "fglrx" in xorg.conf if the closed-source FGLRX driver is not installed on your machine. The FGLRX driver package is called ati-drivers and is not part of the package list on the LXDE LiveCD (see http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/sabayo ... so.pkglist) so, unless you installed it using the Entropy package manager after you installed SL 6 LXDE to your HDD, it isn't installed. Therefore you either need to install the package ati-drivers or revert xorg.conf to how it was and try the procedure in thread Can't get my radeon driver to work.. to see if you can get the open-source Radeon driver to work on your particular hardware.

EDIT (September 1, 2011 16:23 BST): Actually, before you try the method given in the above-mentioned thread, check on the AMD Web site if your ATI GPU is supported by the closed-source FGLRX driver and, if it is, study the thread Re: ATI Driver Installation from last year and try the steps in that to see if you can get the closed-source FGLRX driver working. You'll need to replace the old version numbers in it with the current ones, which you can check using the package manager or via the on-line package search page (http://packages.sabayon.org/).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Recent Install of Sabayon 6.0 Won't Boot Into Graphic Mo

Postby gdawg » Fri Sep 30, 2011 17:49

Thank you for replying. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm fairly new at this and it's taking me some time to digest the instructions. My CPU is Intel not AMD manufactured. Does that mean that I cannot use Sabayon? Thanks again. I'll keep on, keeping on until I figure this out (with help, of course).

Kind regards,

Glen
gdawg
Baby Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion