3.2 DVD Live boot + beryl = no 3d cube?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

3.2 DVD Live boot + beryl = no 3d cube?

Postby Phr0zen » Wed Dec 06, 2006 19:15

Hello,

In my search for a different flavor of linux to try, I found Sabayon.

Anywho, thought I would test out the LiveDVD and see what this distro is about. Problem is that when loading the livedvd, all beryl effects seem to work just fine (selecting aiglx or xgl during booting) but the 3d cube desktop does not work at all. Instead, I get a zoom out of 3 desktops in a line that appear to be the same desktop (labeled desktop 1). Generally when using the beryl manager to adjust settings, trying to get the cube up.... it will crash and work even less than it did before (application hangs and such)

Is this an issue with the Live boot or my hardware perhaps? What can I do to boot this and get the cube working (preferably at 1680x1050)?

system: athlon 64 2200+(i think),bfg geforce 6600 gt, sony dvd r/w, 2x 80 gig hds (WD), 1 gig ram, 20.1" LG Widescreen LCD (l204wt), sabayon 3.2 x86 dvd

PS- I tried the forum search but did not find a match for what I was looking for.
Phr0zen
Young Hen

Postby SteveyDevey » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:19

I've been having similar trouble. For me, a lot of the beryl settings seem to really make it angry. It sounds like you're in Desktop Pane (panel?) mode, and can't switch. Mine's the other way. I can get he cube to work, but not the other. Weird.

I've got no help for you; only sympathy. :(
SteveyDevey
Baby Hen

Postby Phr0zen » Thu Dec 07, 2006 16:53

SteveyDevey wrote:I've been having similar trouble. For me, a lot of the beryl settings seem to really make it angry. It sounds like you're in Desktop Pane (panel?) mode, and can't switch. Mine's the other way. I can get he cube to work, but not the other. Weird.

I've got no help for you; only sympathy. :(

Yea, the default beryl settings are desktop cube.. not the panel. It is set to be the cube but it never shows. Tried switching the keybindings and whatnot, settings are working and saving... but no cube however.

*sigh*

... either way I am just putting together a nix box with leftover parts and will try the HD install in a few days. I just wanted to play around before hand.
Phr0zen
Young Hen

Postby joost » Fri Dec 08, 2006 16:23

launch beryl-manager

:wink:
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Phr0zen » Fri Dec 08, 2006 19:58

joost wrote:launch beryl-manager

:wink:

LOL.
Yup, did all the settings, changed everything... etc etc ... no 3d cube for whatever reason. It seems to be the only setting that won't "stick" for me using the Live DVD.
Phr0zen
Young Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion