Upgrade system gnome3 problem

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Upgrade system gnome3 problem

Postby Zhenli » Sun Aug 28, 2011 17:50

Zhenli
Baby Hen

Postby albfneto » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:02

From these problems, i have two installations of Sabayon. one with mantained GNOME2 and KDE the other is GNOME3 and XFCE, since my GNOME3 have exactly, the same behaviour of yours, instead i have an nvidia and not an ATI.

You may reinstall from your old DVD GNOME2, then not more upgrade the GNOME packages.
this may be made avoiding mark GNOME3 packages in Sulfur, instead of clicking in "upgrade all"

then with equo command, install only the packages that have GNOME3 dependencies, but using --nodeps option.

other procedure is to mask all the GNOME3 packages.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby Zhenli » Tue Aug 30, 2011 13:57

albfneto wrote:From these problems, i have two installations of Sabayon. one with mantained GNOME2 and KDE the other is GNOME3 and XFCE, since my GNOME3 have exactly, the same behaviour of yours, instead i have an nvidia and not an ATI.

You may reinstall from your old DVD GNOME2, then not more upgrade the GNOME packages.
this may be made avoiding mark GNOME3 packages in Sulfur, instead of clicking in "upgrade all"

then with equo command, install only the packages that have GNOME3 dependencies, but using --nodeps option.

other procedure is to mask all the GNOME3 packages.

equo upgrade :idea: or ?
Zhenli
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Tue Aug 30, 2011 14:17

Zhenli, speaking without metaphores, you have to make a choice, Gnome2 is no more, unfortunately, I find Gnome3 problematic and less usable myself, but you have to live with it.

Choice 1: adapt yourself, get to know Gnome3 and customize it to match your needs.
Choice 2: leave Gnome3 and use another Desktop Environment.

My suggestion is selecting the fallback mode and customizing the desktop enviroment to match your needs, we can help you with it, if you tell us what is wrong with it, I can't undetstand your problems just from your screenshot.
You can follow the suggestion from albfneto, but be aware that Gnome2 will soon be completely unsupported.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby Zhenli » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:49

I know , gnome2 auto update gnome3
sorry gnome3 bad desktop
love gnome2 :oops: FREEDOM gnome2 :evil:

another Desktop

xfce , kde

micia , ur desktop ?
Zhenli
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Wed Aug 31, 2011 13:17

My desktop is Gnome3, since I personally don't like the concept of Gnome Shell (activities, mouse-centric, less panels around, etc...), I use it in fallback mode, I heavily customized it to match my needs and make me more productive.
This is very personal, you probably have different opinions and necessities, so I can't tell you "this is better for you", it just works for me.

It depends on what you don't like about Gnome3.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby cmost » Wed Aug 31, 2011 16:37

Simply re-install the live-DVD, then mask all the Gnome 3 packages per my instructions elsewhere in this forum BEFORE you update. Problem solved. While I realize my solution is a temporary band-aide at best, it will at least buy you some time while the Gnome devs get their shit together and make some improvements. Gnome 3 in its current incarnation is horrid and I cannot believe it's being forced on us ready or not. I hope Sabayon developers will consider adding the Gnome 2 fork 'Mate', once it's stabilized and available.

Gnome 2 fork info:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/?p=19106
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Postby micia » Wed Aug 31, 2011 17:23

@cmost, there are many ways to express one's opinion :mrgreen:

The procedure to mask Gnome3 packages is explained (in less detail) in this topic itself. I honestly think that it is unlikely that the Gnome3 design will change much, so in my opinion keeping Gnome2 longer is just delaying the inevitable, the faster you get to know it, the faster you know how to adapt it to your needs :)

As I told earlier, maybe knowing what is wrong with Gnome3 for the particular user would help fixing it.

I hope for that fork to be included in Sabayon too.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby cmost » Wed Aug 31, 2011 17:31

@Mica

Point taken. I'm actually a very happy KDE 4.7.x user but I have several GTK applications that I use and Gnome 3 wrecks the unified theming I employ on my workstation. I'm a sucker for aesthetics. So, in my case I'm not really doing much harm in hanging onto the Gnome 2 libraries (even though doing so does pose a slight security risk as Gnome 2 libraries are deprecated.) That being said, I just cannot seem to get to grips with Gnome 3's way of doing things. I'll be monitoring the situation and when I am satisfied with progress, I'll unmask the packages and dive in. :D
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Previous

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion