Update broke taskbar

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Update broke taskbar

Postby nomad » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:06

My SL 6 test box finished its update and now the task bar is broke. During the update process, it hung at installing kde powerdevil literally overnight as I wanted to see how long. Finally in the AM, I had to force kill sulfur, reboot then finish the update process. After reboot, the tray which is normally on the left end of the task bar is now on the far right and I could not move it back. Half the time the update introduces something unusual. Any minimized application now does not show on the task bar.
nomad
Simple Hen

Re: Update broke taskbar

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:18

Delete ~/.kde4, log out and log in again, and that should reset everything. You'll then need to re-add any widgets you want, re-add your Desktop wallpaper etc.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Update broke taskbar

Postby nomad » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:31

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Delete ~/.kde4, log out and log in again, and that should reset everything. You'll then need to re-add any widgets you want, re-add your Desktop wallpaper etc.

Sorry, but no joy. I rebooted and I could not log back in. If I enter an incorrect password, I would get the typical warning , but if I enter the correct password, the screen would momentarily blank, as if it was moving on to the next step, then it would kick me back to the log in view again. Logged in via failsafe and deleted the .kde4 dir but still no fix. Did a reinstall without formatting the /home drive and even though the reinstall was successful, the same log in problem remained. It was as if something affected the ownership of the user dir. Since this was the test box I could afford to wipe out the /home drive so that was the next reinstall which formatted everything and that worked. Update is getting scarier with each version.
nomad
Simple Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion