Lxnay -- Include LILO for x86 Sabayon alongside GRUB!

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Lxnay -- Include LILO for x86 Sabayon alongside GRUB!

Postby digiplaya » Tue Dec 05, 2006 0:08

Lxnay, I believe my laptop (and probably others as well) does not support GRUB at all, and fails to boot it after install on the third or fourth boot.

If you could simply include LILO alongside GRUB in future releases that would be most excellent (for people with my problem). Maybe this could be done only for x86 (non-64-bit) Sabayon releases.

Not sure if a licensing/legal issue or something like that would arise, but if you could pull this off I would appreciate it throughly!

Just a thought! If you could really include it that would be great, maybe allow user to use either LILO or GRUB with their installs (like distros such as Man$riva which have that ability built-in.)

Thanks for considering!

Tom Anderson
Sabayon x86 Fan & Linux/Wine Enthusiast
and fellow Hen.
digiplaya
Simple Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:53

I'm all for giving people more choices, but I've never had a problem with GRUB on any machine I've installed a linux distro on, whether desktop or laptop. Are you sure that there's just no way it's going to work on your machine?
My soul hurts. Please read what happened. It hurts, and nothing will happen. Perhaps they will try to soothe their conscience by removing this from my signature, so read it, and talk about it.
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:36

not a licensing issue, just grub seems to work best, and w/o tons of patching, doesn't even work with x86-64, but I'll add to revisit it to the manager and we'll take a looksee :)
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby nikaya » Tue Dec 05, 2006 18:20

I'am supporting this query.I have an old pc <1998 and the BIOS only works with lilo.It took several time to found it out why all distros weren't booting.Thought about Gentoo to install but I didn't want to compile on a Pentium II. :cry:
Finally I installed Arch Linux which still includes lilo.

I think Sabayon is build with i586-CHOST for supporting older machines.And my Pentium II is a i686. :!: So it can be that a i586 machine has a BIOS which doesn't work with grub.
nikaya
Growing Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion